Stihl part numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little off topic, but humor me.

I visited the towns Stihl dealer the other day, asked for a particular part for a particular saw and didn't get the answer I expected.
Handed him a piece of paper with a part number written on it and said something in the line of "this is what I need".
I thought the guy would throw me out of his shop, for whatever reason he didn't like me having a freaking part number.
He claimed the part number to be invalid/non existing so I left the shop confused and without the information I was looking for.
That was the weirdest shop/dealer encounter I ever had.

How do Your Stihl dealers react to inquiries involving part numbers?

Just curious as Dolmar seems to welcome inquiries/orders by part numbers.

The entire part number wouldn't match then from saw model to saw model if the first 4 digits were the model number. Like on a MS250 you wouldn't have any part that starts with 1127 would you? I haven't looked it up but I think the 1127 is the MS290 model saw and other versions of the 290 like the 310 etc.

The entire part number wouldn't match then from saw model to saw model if the first 4 digits were the model number. Like on a MS250 you wouldn't have any part that starts with 1127 would you? I haven't looked it up but I think the 1127 is the MS290 model saw and other versions of the 290 like the 310 etc.
No, there are some parts on saws that have other model's prefixes, it is not set in concrete.
Look at the prefix numbers on a clutch for instance.

I visited the towns Stihl dealer the other day, asked for a particular part for a particular saw and didn't get the answer I expected.
Handed him a piece of paper with a part number written on it and said something in the line of "this is what I need".
I thought the guy would throw me out of his shop, for whatever reason he didn't like me having a freaking part number.
He claimed the part number to be invalid/non existing so I left the shop confused and without the information I was looking for.

I email my Stihl parts guy and he tells me if I'm off my rock that day( updated PN#- NLA part ).
of course I leave a fairly detailed description of the part needed is and why.
that way he can help the guys who are clueless at the counter and take more time. all he does for the most part is take my orders and text me or send an email and let me know they arrived. I come in and we just shoot the **** for a few and leave....almost like I work there. :D

for my Dolmar parts I PM Nate @fordf150 and he tells me what I need and why. best damn deal available....wish the darn things broke more often( Makita is freakin rock steady)

I am happy to look in my point of sale computer to see if I stock the part number. If I don't, I will go to the Stihl online site and see if the part number is valid or has been updated. Often, a customer will either bring in an old part number that has been superseded, or a part number that is stamped on the part. For some stupid reason, 90% of part numbers stamped in Stihl products are not the actual part number needed to order one. We will always help a customer to order a part if it is available.

Our local dealer is more than happy for you to have the part number, it makes it easier on him and besides it relieves him of the liability of bringing you a part that doesn't fit, as long as he gets you the part you asked for.

I email my Stihl parts guy and he tells me if I'm off my rock that day( updated PN#- NLA part ).
of course I leave a fairly detailed description of the part needed is and why.
that way he can help the guys who are clueless at the counter and take more time. all he does for the most part is take my orders and text me or send an email and let me know they arrived. I come in and we just shoot the **** for a few and leave....almost like I work there. :D

for my Dolmar parts I PM Nate @fordf150 and he tells me what I need and why. best damn deal available....wish the darn things broke more often( Makita is freakin rock steady)

I am happy to look in my point of sale computer to see if I stock the part number. If I don't, I will go to the Stihl online site and see if the part number is valid or has been updated. Often, a customer will either bring in an old part number that has been superseded, or a part number that is stamped on the part. For some stupid reason, 90% of part numbers stamped in Stihl products are not the actual part number needed to order one. We will always help a customer to order a part if it is available.
Interesting!
I am kinda glad my local dealer seems to either having had a bad day or is rather an exception then the rule.

I was told something in the lines of:
- I shouldn't know Stihl part numbers
- only dealers and repair shops are/should be allowed to know Stihl part numbers
- I am supposed to bring the unit in and they'd fix it and replace parts if needed
- buy the part where I got the part number from

As I mentioned in my previous post, it was an awkward encounter!

Interesting!
I am kinda glad my local dealer seems to either having had a bad day or is rather an exception then the rule.

I was told something in the lines of:
- I shouldn't know Stihl part numbers
- only dealers and repair shops are/should be allowed to know Stihl part numbers
- I am supposed to bring the unit in and they'd fix it and replace parts if needed
- buy the part where I got the part number from

As I mentioned in my previous post, it was an awkward encounter!

Find another dealer....I have 5 within driving distance of me. I've used them all at one time or another. I settled on two and decided they would get to know me know that I am passionate about saws and not a threat to them. I'm a big dumb loud guy who people remember fast. Be one and they will remember you too.

I personally don't need another Stihl dealer, I don't own any Stihl equipment.
I also made that clear to the shop guy as I left the place. :nofunny:

I will try contact a small engine repair shop by mail, it is a couple towns over - if they say they have the Stihl part I may order it from them.
I had one successful dealing with them, so I'll just give them a try for the Stihl part, a PowerSharp starter kit for my small Dolmar's and a starter assembly part for my dads Lombardini LA300 engine.
Considering them being a "universal" small engines repair shop, they might just say available/not available instead of arguing/asking what I need the part for.

Thank You for Your insights guys! :cheers:

Back