Stihl/Pferd EZ-file

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will provide a start point. Then as you round off the rakers you can give each one a couple of more strokes as the cutters get smaller.

Does it do progressive filing on the depth gauges, or maintain Stihl's recommended .025" difference in height?

I like what I've heard of this system but can anyone answer the above question? It seems to me that for the money of this tool, this should be built in.

I like what I've heard of this system but can anyone answer the above question? It seems to me that for the money of this tool, this should be built in.

It does not do progressive filing; the files are in a fixed position. The tool does not know how far the tooth has already been filed.

I bought the Stihl version and I like it. Takes only a couple of minutes to sharpen my chain (16" bar). The reason I got it was because of the raker function. Now I could be wrong, but I thought since the guide rails on the sharpener ride on the teeth (one rail on the tooth in front of, and one behind the cutter being sharpened), then as the cutters are taken down the flat file is lowered too and thus the rakers are also taken down. Hope this makes sense.

I bought the Stihl version and I like it. Takes only a couple of minutes to sharpen my chain (16" bar). The reason I got it was because of the raker function. Now I could be wrong, but I thought since the guide rails on the sharpener ride on the teeth (one rail on the tooth in front of, and one behind the cutter being sharpened), then as the cutters are taken down the flat file is lowered too and thus the rakers are also taken down. Hope this makes sense.

Yes, the rakers are taken down as well when you sharpen with the tool. However, they are taken down at the fixed .025 measurement. As you go through tooth life, ideally the depth gauges would be filed progressively more to achieve the same cutting angle (example -- .025 early, .030 mid, and .035 end of tooth life). This tool will always set the rakers at .025" which won't be as optimum when the tooth is near the end of its service life.

It's not the worst thing in the world. But to answer the question "Does this tool file the rakers progressively more as the tooth gets smaller?", the answer is no.

:)

I very often go beyond .030" on the depth gauges; in fact, I will most of the time exceed that on the first grinding, because I am almost always cutting dirty wood and the cutters take a beating. Anyone seen a .035" or .040 depth gauge tool? I would love to find one of each to take out some of the guess work on the depth gauges. I use the tilt box a lot and adjust by angle, but a set depth gauge tool would certainly be faster for filing.

These aren't new, they've been around for ages. They're pricey for what they are, and if you intend to every get a decent cutting chain a tool like this only slows you down in getting there. They're great for people who are occasional saw users and don't have the patience to learn to handfile properly. There's no substitute for the BobL progressive raker filing method.

These aren't new, they've been around for ages. They're pricey for what they are, and if you intend to every get a decent cutting chain a tool like this only slows you down in getting there. They're great for people who are occasional saw users and don't have the patience to learn to handfile properly. There's no substitute for the BobL progressive raker filing method.
What aren't new?

Where can you buy these Stihl guides at? I looked them up on the Stihl website and none of my local dealers have any according to their websites.

I wouldn't think you would want to file the rakers every time you sharpened. I would think you would be taking off to much using this system. For me, I do not have to file the rakers every time I sharpen, more like 2 to 3 sharpenings.

Where can you buy these Stihl guides at? I looked them up on the Stihl website and none of my local dealers have any according to their websites.

I wouldn't think you would want to file the rakers every time you sharpened. I would think you would be taking off to much using this system. For me, I do not have to file the rakers every time I sharpen, more like 2 to 3 sharpenings.

Have your Stihl dealer order one in for you. They might not stock, but they should be able to get it.

You can't take off too much with this system. It's at a set ratio off the tooth. It might only slightly graze the rakers each time.

I got the husky version specifically for the rakers. I wanted to be able to quickly sharpen the chain, and touch up the rakers in the field. It really does work great!

I got the husky version specifically for the rakers. I wanted to be able to quickly sharpen the chain, and touch up the rakers in the field. It really does work great!

Yep, free handing on the cutters (if you know what you do), and the progressive Husky guides on the rakers.

The Pferd/Stihl combo guide must be designed for those that know absolutely nothing about how to file a chain. It may even (sort of) work, if they use the right one for their chain.....:givebeer:

For those of us who are chain sharpening challenged, it works just fine. It doesn't take much time to go back with another flat file & round off the leading edge of the raker & drop it down a little bit more as the cutter shortens. This is the same thing you would have to do with a regular raker depth gauge.

For those of us who are chain sharpening challenged, it works just fine. It doesn't take much time to go back with another flat file & round off the leading edge of the raker & drop it down a little bit more as the cutter shortens. This is the same thing you would have to do with a regular raker depth gauge.

And that's it, right ^^^there. You can use the dual file guide for a quick touch up, then a regular depth gauge file to drop them a little more as required.

Lot of guys here have said they only do the cutters every time, and the depth gauges every so often, like every two or three cutter touch ups.

At least with this sort of dual file guide, both are getting hit every single time.

Howdy,
If you want to have some fun with one of these, pull the round files, and index some 3 corner files into the 3/8" guide. One of the large flat surfaces of the 3 corner file has to be parallel to the raker file surface. Then I use a speck of super glue to hold it in place. If you hold the guide level, you'll get an ATOP type of edge. The guide also works pretty well for square filing with a 3 corner file. When square filing, the depth bars on the guide really help maintain the file corner to tooth corner alignment. Also, when you use it to square file, it will not do the rakers at the same time.

Regards
Gregg

anyone know where to get replacment rectangular file for the rakers for the cs-x?

in australia and all US vendors either wont ship or want 4 times the cost of the file to ship!!

Back