Stihl S10 Top Handle Linkage Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oologahan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is a early Stihl s10 serial number 2120016. I think the linkage should go to the governor lever, not the idle lever, right? also does my threaded tank vent pin look right? What's the spade connection for in the second picture? Thanks

Attachments

• 20211015_215813.jpg
    20211015_215813.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211015_215823.jpg
    20211015_215823.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211015_215829.jpg
    20211015_215829.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211015_215904.jpg
    20211015_215904.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 16
It looks to me like you have a Stihl 08 with a S10 oil tank on it.The Stihl S10 I have my brother bought brand new in 71 so know the oil tank is correct for it.The oil tanks are often swapped as there were many many many more 08 and 88s built then S10s.The S10 has a conventional style handle grip and a totaly different carb.The 08 style carb used a fan govenor linked to the choke to limit rpms most operators removed these as the saws were low rpm.rental agents loved the 08s as it was pretty hard to burn them out from leaning the carb out.The choke shafts got worn after many years of hard use but they stihl ran well.
If I was told that I could only have one saw for the rest of my life I would take a Stihl 08s,
start well built well dead nuts reliable easy to work on
goods power handles .404 chain with ease the top handle style is wonderful to fall and limb with.
Kash
Sorry for the two styles of typing I have no idea how to change it.

You have it all wrong bud, that governor linkage goes from the choke to the air vane. The throttle linkage goes from the trigger to the throttle (butterfly) .
I got the saw from a friend and I'm trying to get it running, it runs on prime, but I believe the carb needs rebuilt. I saw the linkage an knew it couldn't be right, thanks for confirming my suspicions.

It looks to me like you have a Stihl 08 with a S10 oil tank on it.The Stihl S10 I have my brother bought brand new in 71 so know the oil tank is correct for it.The oil tanks are often swapped as there were many many many more 08 and 88s built then S10s.The S10 has a conventional style handle grip and a totaly different carb.The 08 style carb used a fan govenor linked to the choke to limit rpms most operators removed these as the saws were low rpm.rental agents loved the 08s as it was pretty hard to burn them out from leaning the carb out.The choke shafts got worn after many years of hard use but they stihl ran well.
If I was told that I could only have one saw for the rest of my life I would take a Stihl 08s,
start well built well dead nuts reliable easy to work on
goods power handles .404 chain with ease the top handle style is wonderful to fall and limb with.
Kash
Sorry for the two styles of typing I have no idea how to change it.
The serial number on this saw indicates it way older than 1971, probably 1967-1968, in researching this I was under the impression that the S10 was a top handle at first, the S10 manual I have for it shows both a top handle and back handle. what was the difference in oil tanks?

I got the saw from a friend and I'm trying to get it running, it runs on prime, but I believe the carb needs rebuilt. I saw the linkage an knew it couldn't be right, thanks for confirming my suspicions.
All good :) hehe yes, with your current linkage setup, every time you open the throttle you close the choke in the same proportion hahah

What's the spade connection for in the second picture?

The kill switch. Early 08 and S10 had a sprung push button in front of the choke slide. Push the button down and its plate contacts this connector.

It looks like that air vane linkage rod will be long enough if bent back straight, with an end bend to catch the vane lever.

The S10 top handle and rear handle versions share the same chassis and early motor, differences are in the top covers, added rear handle/trigger and air filter setup. A lot of 08 parts will interchange with a top handle S10. And other than the logos on the sides of the oil tanks, there are no differences between 08, 08s, or S10 tanks.

What's the spade connection for in the second picture?

The kill switch. Early 08 and S10 had a sprung push button in front of the choke slide. Push the button down and its plate contacts this connector.

It looks like that air vane linkage rod will be long enough if bent back straight, with an end bend to catch the vane lever.

The S10 top handle and rear handle versions share the same chassis and early motor, differences are in the top covers, added rear handle/trigger and air filter setup. A lot of 08 parts will interchange with a top handle S10. And other than the logos on the sides of the oil tanks, there are no differences between 08, 08s, or S10 tanks.
Thank you so much for clarifying that this is a S10, and the linkage help. It has a push button contact kill switch

Just wondering if any one has ever saw a Stihl magazine ad or Stihl parts manual that shows the Stihl S10 in top handle style.I may be wrong but I have saw many many 08 and 08s and a half dozen S10s all 08 top handle and a dozen or so S10s. I have saw two 08Ss wearing S10 oil tanks.The owners said they used tank off scrap S10s.
Kash

Just wondering if any one has ever saw a Stihl magazine ad or Stihl parts manual that shows the Stihl S10 in top handle style.I may be wrong but I have saw many many 08 and 08s and a half dozen S10s all 08 top handle and a dozen or so S10s. I have saw two 08Ss wearing S10 oil tanks.The owners said they used tank off scrap S10s.
Kash
There are at least 4-6 pictures of S10 top handles if you do a google image search on Stihl S10, many from Magnus's Chainsaw Collectors forum

I fail to see Stihls logic in selling two identical saws when the only difference is one says 08 and the other s10 on the oil tank.Any of the ads for S10s I have saw show the conventional S10 and they list the S10 as home owner saws and the 08S as pro.The carb carb cover muffler handle bar style are all totally different on the S10. Has any one saw an IPL for a S10 that looks like an 08.
Kash

Back