Stihl saws update and opinions needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say keep the 026. It is the saw you would most likely regret selling. You seem to like the 210 but saws in that class are the ones that are at every yard sale. those can be picked up cheap. So maybe keep the 034, keep the 026, sell the 021 for about $125 or so and then take $20 of that to buy a small non running saw, clean the carb, sharpen the chain and you have +/- $100 to return to the family coffers and still have three saws. (maybe get one even smaller than the 210 and then you spread the saw line-up a bit.)

With an 026 I really think you could do without the smaller saw but if your wife is interested in cutting, definitely groom that. You heat with wood? If so, tell her it is something she needs to know how to do. Doesn't necessarily have to enjoy it, it would just be good for her to have the skill to be able if necessary. That said, my wife never ran a saw in her life. She has shot about every kind of gun, has worked on cars, just has no interest in cutting. She will load wood, pile brush, and feeds our wood furnace though. I'm keeping her AND all my saws. lol.

Last edited:
I think like it has been pointed out you kind of need to deal with your wife on this and not get rid of somethign you otherwise would like to keep.

My wife hates chainsaws:mad: but she tolerates it and it is much better here now than it was one this whole thing started.

I say keep the ones you have now and start looking for a nice top handle saw to round out the group after all three is an uneven number. four sounds much better than three just say it out load:hmm3grin2orange:

The 021 uses a different bar mount, so putting the 16" on the 026 is not an option. About the time I start leaning towards keeping the 026, my wife says the 021 would be a good size for her to use to help me cut. Hmmm, maybe a 3 saw line up is in my future. How convenient that I have 3 saws!!

That sounds a lot better! :msp_biggrin:

Keeping all three of them is the best case because as mentioned you'd probably end up regretting the loss of the 026 and if you unload the 021 you'll get very little for that.

I say keep the 026. ...
With an 026 I really think you could do without the smaller saw but if your wife is interested in cutting, definitely groom that. You heat with wood? If so, tell her it is something she needs to know how to do. Doesn't necessarily have to enjoy it, it would just be good for her to have the skill to be able if necessary. That said, my wife never ran a saw in her life. She has shot about every kind of gun, has worked on cars, just has no interest in cutting. She will load wood, pile brush, and feeds our wood furnace though. I'm keeping her AND all my saws. lol.

:msp_thumbup:, your wife sounds like a keepher!

Keep them all. Get rid of the smallest one if you must, but you know you like that one too. :D

My wife is a nurse and has zero interest in chain saws, i buy what i need and she buys what she needs and thats that.

One thing to always consider is interchangability between your saws. Does the 026 & 034 run the same pitch chain (I know they can) What is the 021 running... having power heads that you can interchange the B/C on gives you much more flexability. First thing I did when I bought my 261 was swap it to 3/8 over the .325 as I have several B/C in that pitch already. I used the .325 on the 028 that I sold to make up some of the cost of the 261 "w/ new B/C" gets 'em every time on the C/L.

Just something to consider. If you're 034 was down and you just absolutly had to, the 026 could pull the 20" bar, heck if it was a tree across a road keeping me from getting home or to work after a storm or something, my 261 would pull a 36" bar if it was the only powerhead I had running.

dw

Very good point, DW. I've got the 026 and the 034 set up with rim drives, so I can very easily swap B&C between the two. I've been running the .325-.63 in 18" on the 026 while the 034 is running a 3/8-.50 in 20". Got a good bar plus a few good used chains and a new one for the 18-incher, and got two good bars (one new) and a couple good chains for the 20-incher.

The 021 uses a different bar mount and different chain altogether. I like the option of swapping back and forth between the 026 and 034, so if it comes down to it, the 021 will be more than likely the one to be culled. But, I think my wife and I are in agreement that she should at least have something she can use and be comfortable with in case of an emergency. We heat with wood, so she could cut some to get by if she needed to, and it wouldn't hurt for her to be able to cut up a tree/limb across the driveway or road if I'm not at home.

, I think my wife and I are in agreement that she should at least have something she can use and be comfortable with in case of an emergency. We heat with wood, so she could cut some to get by if she needed to, and it wouldn't hurt for her to be able to cut up a tree/limb across the driveway or road if I'm not at home.

There you go, you keep the 026 & 034, and sell (Ok you can give) her the 021 for use around the house :hmm3grin2orange:

dw

Very good point, DW. I've got the 026 and the 034 set up with rim drives, so I can very easily swap B&C between the two.

This makes me think of another possibility. If you can get a 20" FARM BOSS bar on the 021, it'll fetch $300 on CL, no problemo! :hmm3grin2orange:

HF

Latest posts

Back