Stihl saws update and opinions needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonym

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I had a chance to take out my "new to me" 034 last night to do some cutting on a nice, large oak. She's running fantastic and cutting great! Glad I took the chance with it. Now I have a delimma! I'm needing to move one of my saws and could use your opinions.

I currently have the 034, an 026, and an 021. I typically use the little 021 for most of my limbing because it's so light weight, and it runs pretty darned good with the muffler mod I did on it. I snagged the 026 before getting the 034 to use as my "big saw" (replaced an 028). It is in great condition and runs/cuts awesome. Then I picked up this 034. Not in as good of condition as the other two, but I really like the additional power and there's really not that much weight difference between it and the 026.

I know the 021 is a little homeowners saw compared to the other two "pro" models, but I'm actually tempted to sell the 026. That way I keep the largest saw and have a considerably lighter weight saw for the smaller work, plus I'd get quite a bit more out of the 026 vs the 021. Any of you guys agree? Got any recommendations? Keeping the 3rd saw is not an option according to the wife...

Thanks in advance for your input!

Ok, so I had a chance to take out my "new to me" 034 last night to do some cutting on a nice, large oak. She's running fantastic and cutting great! Glad I took the chance with it. Now I have a delimma! I'm needing to move one of my saws and could use your opinions.

I currently have the 034, an 026, and an 021. I typically use the little 021 for most of my limbing because it's so light weight, and it runs pretty darned good with the muffler mod I did on it. I snagged the 026 before getting the 034 to use as my "big saw" (replaced an 028). It is in great condition and runs/cuts awesome. Then I picked up this 034. Not in as good of condition as the other two, but I really like the additional power and there's really not that much weight difference between it and the 026.

I know the 021 is a little homeowners saw compared to the other two "pro" models, but I'm actually tempted to sell the 026. That way I keep the largest saw and have a considerably lighter weight saw for the smaller work, plus I'd get quite a bit more out of the 026 vs the 021. Any of you guys agree? Got any recommendations? Keeping the 3rd saw is not an option according to the wife...

Thanks in advance for your input!

None of those saws will bring a lot of money, so what's the point of getting rid of one?

Maybe you rather need to find a better wife? :msp_wink:

Your logic is not bad if you feel that strongly about your 021. I sold by 210 because it wasn't that much smaller than a 261 and WAY less power, performance, etc. Your 026 should bring a bit nicer paycheck than the 021, but not by much.

There's just really not that big of a size jump between all of your saws. Any of them could kind of do what the other can. If I had to choose one, it would probably be the 026.

Last edited:
You are correct in thinking that the 026 would fetch your a few more bucks than the 021. Out here, depending on the condition you would get about $100 more.

Back to the original question, I would have ditched the 021 - it is waaay lower quality than the 026, and not really a lot lighter, not enough for what it is. An 026 is quite light, specially with a short bar, and a lot more useful saw. :msp_smile:

Keeping the 3rd saw is not an option according to the wife...

Off topic, but this kinda rubs me the wrong way.......women! :mad2:

How many pairs of shoes does she have?? How many dresses/clothes does she have which she saves just "in case"....and how big is her closet?? Make a deal with her....you sell the 3rd saw only if you get to go through her closet and get rid of what -YOU- deem is not important to her.

I was running the 026 with an 18" bar and the 034 with a 20" bar. The 021 has a 16" and a 14" bar, although the 16" is currently on it. It just seems significantly lighter than the 026, far more of a difference than between the 026 and 034 (even with the longer bar).

Luckily my wife approves of having the tools I need, but thinks we could better use the money invested in a 3rd saw somewhere else... especially since I have to get my truck repaired to haul in all this wood I'm cutting!

I was running the 026 with an 18" bar and the 034 with a 20" bar. The 021 has a 16" and a 14" bar, although the 16" is currently on it. It just seems significantly lighter than the 026, far more of a difference than between the 026 and 034 (even with the longer bar).

Luckily my wife approves of having the tools I need, but thinks we could better use the money invested in a 3rd saw somewhere else... especially since I have to get my truck repaired to haul in all this wood I'm cutting!

Put the 16" on the 026 and see how you like it. The lower weight and change in balance makes it a nice saw.

Sell the 021 with the 14" on it, and be happy with your other saws.

If you dont like that idea, put the 026 for sale here in the classifieds, I know there are plenty of folks here who would be interested in it.

The 021 uses a different bar mount, so putting the 16" on the 026 is not an option. About the time I start leaning towards keeping the 026, my wife says the 021 would be a good size for her to use to help me cut. Hmmm, maybe a 3 saw line up is in my future. How convenient that I have 3 saws!!

The 021 uses a different bar mount, so putting the 16" on the 026 is not an option. About the time I start leaning towards keeping the 026, my wife says the 021 would be a good size for her to use to help me cut. Hmmm, maybe a 3 saw line up is in my future. How convenient that I have 3 saws!!

Whoops, my bad on that one. I have an 18" for my 026, but only use it for the extra reach when clearing stuff out.

If she thinks that the 021 is good for her, then definitely push to keep all three around......

I would sell one cord of wood, then use that money as the proof you can own three saws economically. I mean really, what ya gonna get for the 021? About the same as a cord of wood, tops. Sell the wood, keep the saw.

I really think about any cutter needs around at least five saws, from 30 something cc to a 90-100 cc. I used to think one small saw was "enough"..until two years ago the unexpected happened, the tornado hit here. Rather an educational eye opener on what I thought I "needed" because I "just did some sapling clearing in the pastures and down the fence rows and cut a little firewood". Uh huh. ...... Now I know that you DON'T know what saws you might really need in the future, and it is better to have them, then wish you had them. Multiple saws, different sizes, that's reality.

You might not hardly ever run the two saws at the opposite ends, just once in awhile, but three in the middle you will use a lot, and it is good to have the smallest, then the largest for when what you are cutting decides which is the appropriate tool.

And besides emergencies, you just never know..one day hanging out, your buddy calls you, the McGoobers down his street just had a six foot DBH oak taken down, free wood, first come first served. See? Little branches to whopper trunks, you need a variety of sizes available. Just like wrenches, or any other tool.

Yep, I see absolutely zero use for an 021 really, when he has an 026 and an 034.

Agree.

I had a 210 and sold it to a buddy that needed a saw. Next up is the 024 Super and 028 Super...never missed the 210. But I'm keeping the 192T...forever:rock:

Back