Stihl saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
max torque versus max rpm. In mowing ,
i mow with the max rpm [blade speed]
i can get. the only way this can help is on lawns where the grass is weekly and not enough drag, to pull the engine rpm
down.this allows faster cutting.
in heavy grass the motor is still going to come dn to its best torque rpm and ,try to hold it,because of the drag thats on the motor.
it just seems to me ,even softwood would have enough drag so that the best torque rpm combination is going to work better.seems to me .325 is going to give this, all things else equeal
i mean ,the 346 xp turns 14500 with .325,so its not like u cant get the higher rpm with it.
again just projections and thoughts.
ps i recon, im gonna have to put a 325 on my 036,to see if what im sayin ,holds up.

"My milling will be done in green red pine using a Lumber Maker with a guide ..."

Max2cam, How about having your pine milling done using Red Green for a lumber maker guide?:p

My experience in hardwood has been that generally speaking, up to about 56cc, you are better off with .325 pitch chain, and then above that engine size 3/8ths pitch comes into its own. However, Oregon used to have a small cutter 3/8ths chain, the 76 series I believe. I wish we had it back.

The max RPM is less relative unless you are cutting easier wood than what taxes the capacity of your saw, then the rpm would naturally help.

Of course, BHP is brake horspower; either expressed as DIN or SAE (very little difference)

Tony I agree with Tony, 55cc is about the cutoff point. Below that I run .325, above that 3/8

The reason all saws dont run .325 is because 3/8 or .404 do cut faster than .325, IF THE SAW HAS THE NUTS TO MAINTAIN THE RPM. On small saws 3/8 will bog the engine out of its powerband and you lose cutting speed.

If a 395XP can run both 3/8 and .325 at WOT and the same rpm, the bigger chain will always cut faster obviously.

well yeah.....but WHAT IF you lowered the rakers of the .325(to take advantage of available torque-instead of a wider cut,a deeper cut)on the 395xp...then which chain would cut faster?

Just wondered:rolleyes:

Rick

anything is worth trying to see what happens. i do little tricks with equipment all the time. about 80 percent of the time
they dont work. but the ones that do
sometime gives me the edge, i need in my chosen work . the 16 on the 295 was a no brainer as the pro 346xp is issued with 16. kinda leads u to believe if they are selling to somebody, that knows saws, they are going with the best production combination,and not trying to impress the homeowners with long bars an such.jmo

Originally posted by bwalker
3/8 works fine on my 026. I use it is easier for me to file and I can run it in a pinch on my bigger saws.

I had an 026 that stunk with 3/8. It was stock however, right down to the muffler. My buddy has a stock 026pro and also runs 3/8 on it in his tree business, and I think it is ok up to about 12-15" logs. Above that it is sucking wind. But if all my other saws used 3/8 (they dont) then I would do the same as you

I still would probably use .325 on any stock 026, modified I would go 3/8 and use a 16-18" bar. I am going to try 3/8 on my 55 when I wear the current sprocket out. I already have a 16" bar for it

Huskyman, About the biggest wood I cut with it would be around 16" and its mostly jack pine and other softwoods as thats the only thing that grows where I am at in Canada. Anything bigger or hard wood and the 044 comes out.
Another thing about 325 that bugs me is the teeth are harder for a novice filer like myself to sharpen.

Huskyman, About the biggest wood I cut with it would be around 16" and its mostly jack pine and other softwoods as thats the only thing that grows where I am at in Canada. Anything bigger or hard wood and the 044 comes out.
Another thing about 325 that bugs me is the teeth are harder for a novice filer like myself to sharpen. BTW my -26 pro has a full adjust carb and a walkers muffler job which makes quit a big differance.

I have to agree with Ben on this, the adjustable carb and modified muffler make a substantial difference on the 026. I don`t like the fact that these saws are so held back in stock form but it`s a nice little bonus waiting to be had for those of us willing to tinker abit. BTW, I`ve been using 22LP with good results on the small Stihls and find it a little easier to sharpen than the 35LG.

Russ

Back