Stihl Setup Info. 2004

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Secret Stihl Police are going to be pizzed. :angry:

Thanks for posting though. :clap:

Good info if you're a Stihl tech I guess. (This is why they get paid the big bucks. :hmm3grin2orange: ) So, can a kind Stihl tech out there give me a little lesson on how to read this PDF? I've been pulling my hair out trying to get my FS36 trimmer tuned in. I can make it run great, but when it's running great, the head spins which it's not supposed to do. (Although, over the years of using it, I don't recall the head not spinning. Manual says if carb is set correctly, the head will not spin.) I can get the head to stop, but then it doesn't run so good. (Poor acceleration, maybe too rich/lean?) So I finally found the PDF here I've been looking for with the standard settings on an FS36...

Starting from left to right...

FS36, 40, 44, FC 44, 4130 - Duh. Model number.
WT-327 or WT-942A - Duh. Carb model.
(H)/(L) blank on both carbs. - Why??? This is where I was thinking I would get my counterclockwise turns from...
(H)/(L) (4)/(1 1/2) on both carbs. - I was thinking maybe this one. Looks like screw settings without limiter caps maybe. But while it will crank on this setting, it aint gonna run like that. Can't be standard setting.
(H)/(L) (1/4)/(1/4) on both carbs. - Looks like screw settings with limiter caps which this trimmer does not have, so probably not for me.

Also, what are (-) ??? For example, (-)/(1). I know the FS36 doesn't have any like this, but was curious how to read the settings like this.

The rest is informational and can figure some of it out. I'm guessing the NL @ RPM is idle RPM which for this trimmer should be 3100. And the NR @ RPM is the maximum or recommended operating range at 8600-10000. ???

Mostly interested in the carb settings and what means what above. My FS36 seems to respond well and idle, maybe high??? at (H) 3/4 and (L) 1 and the (LH) if I screw it out maybe 5 or 6 times it will slow the head down and sometimes not rotate at idle. Any help or insight is much appreciated. Just spent a little money on it and got a new spark plug, fuel filter, air filter, cleaned the exhaust screen, carb cleaner, etc. and it actually runs much better now than when I started fiddling with it. It was about to hit the yard sale, but maybe I'll try to get some more life out of it myself. When fiddling around with the screws, I can get it pretty smooth and responsive, but if I only knew where to start (standard settings) for this model or how to read this table would be great. Thanks.

The three carb screw columns are as follows:-
1. Carbs with only 1 adjustment screw.
2. Carbs with 3 adjustment screws without limiter caps (H, L & LA)
3. Carbs with 3 adjustment screws with limiter caps.

All adjustment screws except LA. Gently seat screw/s by rotating clockwise, when seated rotate screw anticlockwise by specified amount.
The LA screw is the "Idle Speed Screw" (You may not have noticed it but it shouldn't be far away!)
Rotate clockwise if necessary to stop the head rotating whilst idling.

Obviously these are only rough guidelines as not to damage your engine and are not the end all and be all of carb tuning as there are many other varing factors to consider.

Some like tuning by ear and some like tuning by tacho, some like tuning at "no load" and some like tuning "in the cut", some like bringing the item to their nearst dealer to be on the right side of costly Cylinder/Piston/Bearing failure.

There are many threads on carb tuning and what it all means, I would advise a look here to start you off.

(H)/(L) (4)/(1 1/2) on both carbs. - I was thinking maybe this one. Looks like screw settings without limiter caps maybe. But while it will crank on this setting, it aint gonna run like that. Can't be standard setting.

"2. Carbs with 3 adjustment screws without limiter caps (H, L & LA)

All adjustment screws except LA. Gently seat screw/s by rotating clockwise, when seated rotate screw anticlockwise by specified amount.
The LA screw is the "Idle Speed Screw" (You may not have noticed it but it shouldn't be far away!)
Rotate clockwise if necessary to stop the head rotating whilst idling."

Thanks for the info. Pretty much what I thought, but I guess then I am confused. Is it possible there is a misprint in this PDF that the (H) on my FS36 shows to be a 4? That means seat it and turn it 4 full turns counterclockwise, right? This setting will not work. As stated, mine seems to like (3/4) out. Maybe it was a typo and they meant to put (3/4)? Thoughts?

Also, yes, I noticed the LA and I'm a little confused there too. You say to turn it in until the head stops rotating. I think the manual says opposite, could be wrong. I have been seating it, then turning it counterclockwise out until the head stops or slows to almost nothing, usually a good 5 or 6 turns out, but then I have little throttle response and idle seems sloooowwww. What order should I adjust? I have been doing L, then LH, then H. Right? My saws all have the 3 adjustments and I've got them all purring, so I'm somewhat familiar with twisting the screws, which is why a (H) 4 doesn't seem right. Do need to get a tach. Would probably help much. Thank you in advance.

Latest posts

Back