Stihl trimmer issue, sigh...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildnCrazyGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is NOT a trimmer forum, but please help! I've been fighting with my old Stihl FS36 trimmer and trying to figure out a gas leaking issue. It's not leaking drops, it's pouring out of, I think, the vent tube. At first I thought it was a bad fuel line or something like that. When I opened it up, checked all the fuel lines, they were all in excellent shape. I hate to say like brand new, but after about 17 years now and a little WD 40, they look like they were fitted and installed yesterday. Checked them for any signs of cracking and such.

So I did some due diligence and took it all apart, put it back together, making sure all the lines were connected firmly and properly, then turned it upside down again, and more gas running out. I can't see anything wrong with the vent tube assembly, which is where it looks like it's pouring from. I checked the rubber valve. It looks brand new and is just a piece of rubber that fits in its spot just fine. The coupling to that vent tube valve looks ok and I can't imagine how it could fail. It all looks good, but maybe I start here? Replace these two little things that don't look like they could even go bad?

My observations. Without firing the trimmer, if I turn it on it's side or upside down, it seems to build pressure and send the gas flowing. If I back the gas cap off, you can hear the pressure release hiss. Is it as simple as a bad gas cap? I can't see anywhere on the gas cap that looks bad, and it doesn't look to me like it's one of those that has a hole in it to function, maybe it is?

My other observation is when I do fire the trimmer, it's like the pressure builds up and then wants to kill the engine sometimes. After googling and searching and searching through here, I haven't specifically tried to slightly open the gas cap and see if it runs better. I will try that tonight and any other suggestions I hear from you guys. Is this an indication of a carb issue like needing a kit or cleaning or something? Something stuck open or closed and thus builds the pressure and makes the gas "pressurized" and have to run out the nearest exit? When I had it apart, I did spray through all the carb's exterior holes and such with carb cleaner.

Thanks in advance for advice. Before I spend much money on this old FS36 that's nearing the end of it's life, I wanted to try to make an educated guess at what to get to take a stab at fixing it, gas cap, carb kit, fuel hoses, etc. I'm waiting on a price from my Stihl dealer for some stuff including a new FS90. All things considered, if this thing weren't leaking gas everywhere it would still be a pretty good trimmer. Doesn't have very good compression, but still turns about 7500RPM, more than enough to trim some grass/weeds. I'd like to use it as a backup to my new one I'm looking at or most likely keep it at our other place to keep the weeds down instead of trucking something back and forth…

And if you're wondering why I turn it on it’s side, I use it to edge my driveway and such sometimes. It leaks gas all over me and it probably wouldn't take much to set the trimmer and me up in flames at that point. The muffler gets real hot. Again, thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't waste the time or money fixing it. The FS 36, 40, 44 were all Ryobi's made for Stihl, to get them into the home owner trimmer market.

If you plan on saving it you should take apart the carb and clean it out if you haven't done so already. It sounds like your needle might be stuck open. If it's that old it's probably time for a carb kit anyway.

The fuel lines might look ok, but are probably not sealing at the tank
and causing the leak. Also, they do not hold well on the nipples of the primer bulb.

New lines, and a carb rebuild, and you probably will be fine....

I wouldn't waste the time or money fixing it. The FS 36, 40, 44 were all Ryobi's made for Stihl, to get them into the home owner trimmer market.

They were IDC who also designed them for Ryobi.... Ryobi didn't make them for Stihl.

Actually, when they run they aren't too bad. Stupid design of the recoil though... have to take half the unit to pieces to replace the cord.

The metering needle in the carb might be sticking open just a bit too.

I've got the parts list for the FS36, includes the carb parts. Would that be probably called the inlet needle? Doesn't look like it is part of the kit, so what makes it stick? Gunk in the carb? So when I get inside and clean it out and replace the carb kit stuff, it should work like new again or one of those things that when it breaks, time for a new carb? Sorry. I've never had the opportunity to get into a carb before, but have it in hand now and will be visiting the dealer tomorrow to see about getting a kit and then I'll get some first hand knowledge of what everyone is talking about on this forum.

Last edited:
It's rare that you have to replace the whole carb. The inlet needle is what I mentioned in my post that is suspect and even if you don't get one in the kit you will probably dislodge anything blocking it when you clean it. When you do get to the needle, check the tip for wear and replace if necessary.

Oh, I ran it tonight and didn't seem to leak much, but leak is still there. Otherwise, I think it's running better than it has in a few years. Probably that carb cleaner I took to it the other night. Maybe the carb kit will complete my issue. Now I might not have to buy that FS90...NOT! Thanks for the replies. Fish. If you're there, do you know if the fuel lines are already cut to length and I have to buy them seperately or can I just get a foot or two and cut them myself? Thanks guys!

I was hunched over an IDC today... chucking it into the middle of the freeway seemed like a good option:( , but... carb kit, throttle cable, fuel lines etc, and it lives again... $80 bill.... Hey, he was o.k. with that... Maybe he'll take he'll somewhere else next time..:dizzy:

Just buy the length you want. Most Stihl dealers buy it 10 meters at a time. Also, buy new grommets.

Thanks Lake. No grommets on mine. I've got the FS36. The brothers to it have the grommets. Mine are just rubber pushed through the tank. An yes, Fish was right about them not sealing very well now that they have been "formed" over its lifetime, but I did try to move them a bit to make a tighter fit to the tank.

I will try to get me a carb kit and some line from the dealer and see if it solves the leaking. If not, I might take a last ditch effort to replace the vent tube valve and /or the connector to it. Other than that, I guess I'll just have to use it as a trimmer and not an edger for the remainder of its life and use my new FS90 that I'm about to break down and get for that. Heck, I might even get the edger head attachment and deal with swapping out when I need to edge which is not very often. Probably 3 or 4 times usually during the summer. Might be worth it to get a good edge rather than trying to do it with trimmer line and no guide although I'm sure that head attachment is gonna be pricey enough to let me try to continue to use my trimmer as an edger though. :)

My brother just got an FS90 last week for his lawn care business. Geez, does that thing have some bawls to it. Sounds like a little Honda 50 dirtbike. You don't even have to rev it up to do minor trimming around houses, and at full RPM in the deep weeds it's a beast. I'm interested to see what the service cycle for these will be though with all the additional moving parts involved in a 4 stroke.

IDC- Inertia Dynamics Company- The folks who designed these motors. Not a bad cheap trimmer in its day, but by todays standards, a slow, smokey reed valve design.

Latest posts

Back