Stihl Ultra HP Synthetic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bow_Extreme

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok so for years I've bought the normal orange 2 cycle stihl oil mix for my weed eaters and a stihl tiller I have. I've never had a problem with any of them. Today I went and bought a gallon of the ultra synthetic and was floored at the price. My jaw about hit the ground. The gallon jug was marked 31.99 which after looking at the 2 and 2.5 gallon bottle mixes marked at $3.25 each, seemed reasonable.

I took the gallon to the counter and they told me that will be $60.00. I showed them it was marked 31.99 and they dropped the price to $50.00. I paid the $50.00 but with deep hurt about how much that oil just cost me. I know it will make 50 gallons and last a while but still. I've always run Mobil synthetic and Amsoil in all my vehicles over the years and paid the price but this oil takes the cake from a price standpoint. I hope it's worth the money. I will be running it in my new 7900..

yea its pricey but they chainged there warenty and if you buy a 6 pack with the saw they will give you an extra year on your warrenty if you go by that it should be good stuff but its up to you
i like klots super tecnoplate since you can use it with pure ehtanol (supper hobby saw) but the price is getting to me

It's funny the warranty comes up. The dealer mentioned that if I bought a new saw and a 6 pack of oil I would get the extra year warranty...lol. If I hadn't just bought the Dolmar I was really liking the MS362. That saw is really nice.

By the way. The 55 gallon drum was like $360.00. I was thinking I should just buy the drum and sell the oil cheap to get my money back and get others a better deal on the oil.

It's funny the warranty comes up. The dealer mentioned that if I bought a new saw and a 6 pack of oil I would get the extra year warranty...lol. If I hadn't just bought the Dolmar I was really liking the MS362. That saw is really nice.

By the way. The 55 gallon drum was like $360.00. I was thinking I should just buy the drum and sell the oil cheap to get my money back and get others a better deal on the oil.

That would make it about $6.55 gallon---$360 divided by 55. Pretty cheap for Stihl Ultra mix oil, sure that wasnt bar oil in that 55 gallon drum?

We use Stilh ultra in all are 2 stroke. In my mind it"s cheep insurance. Our candy store shoot I mean John Deere & Stihl dealer sell it for 2.45 per 2 gallons mix

Last edited:
We use Stilh ultra in all are 2 stroke. In my mind it"s cheep insurance. Our candy store shoot I mean John Deere & Stihl dealer sell it for 2.45 per 2 gallons.

2.45 per gallon? How can they sell it for that? I just paid 50.00 for a gallon today. That is very interesting. Can you ship me about 50 gallons please?....lol

Sorry should have been clear, the 5.2 oz bottle for mixing with 2 gallons of gas. Is 2.45. I try to purchase by the case 48 count and get 10% discount.

Something I'm not getting here: The gallon jug was MARKED $32? And they wouldn't honor their own marked price?

I'd have just handed the counter person the jug and said "no thanks, not without dinner and a show first"

$32/gallon is a good price for a gallon of premium grade product; even $50 isn't way out of the ball park considering that a gallon of racing oil shipped to your door would likely cost that much. But that isn't the issue.

FWIW, I buy a full-synthetic product labelled for "Jet-ski" tpe PWC's in gallon jugs. The mfgr provides the same product labelled for snomobiles, consumer power equipment, etc. in various size containers from 2.6 oz to 55 gal drums, but the PWC product has the best pricing for reasonable quantities...about $21/gallon last week.

How does Ultra compare to the old Mobil 2T oil?

I've got some 2T left but was thinking about trying the Ultra as a replacement.

From all the research I did here on AS and other sites as well, the Ultra is the way to go but it's really up to you and what you want to use. How the ultra compares to old Mobil 2T I'm not sure.

I think the numbers might have been mixed up. My dealer lists a 55-gallon drum of HP Ultra Synthetic for $3300, HP Super partial synthetic for $2400, and regular orange bottle mix for $1500.

I just picked up a 6 pack of the 6.4fl oz for $21.79 at my local Ace hardware store. I was a little shocked at the price myself. Now I don't think the $11 I spent on a 6-pack of Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA was too high.:cheers:

Ok, so I called the dealer and first they told me that it would be around $600.00 for the 55 gallon drum but they would call me back with a good price. 5 minutes later I get a call back and they now want $2600.00 plus shipping. I apologize for this thread now as I feel bad for even posting the prices they were throwing out to me last night. I should have bought it while I could but that wouldn't have been very honest of me.

Something I'm not getting here: The gallon jug was MARKED $32? And they wouldn't honor their own marked price?

I'd have just handed the counter person the jug and said "no thanks, not without dinner and a show first".........

I'm confused too.:msp_huh: If the price tag says $31.99, why would you pay $50?? This is just bad business practice.:msp_huh:

Back