Stihl USG Foot Operated Chain Clamp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I saw that Stihl made a foot operated chain clamp for the USG grinder. Is it still available and would anyone happen to know a part # for it?

Harley that's it. Now to find out if its still available. I have trouble with the tooth moving around on me. I had an HOS and I think the clamp on that grinder worked better. I am considering trying the Hydraulic Oregon

Any guess on the length of the cable? My grinder to the floor is probably high 4 or close to 5 ft.

Thanks Nixon. Now to find a minute to call the dealer. If someone wouldn't know any better it does sound like we have a "drug" problem.

They treat me good, but I am by no means a special customer. Meaning they don't give me special treatment. I am in there 2 times a wk for parts.

So I finally got a chance to install the clamp on the grinder. I will say this is not Stihl's finest invention but works well. The instructions are poor for installation. Well there really aren't instructions other than a picture. Here is the thing got me. It works off spring tension and there is only tension on the chain when your foot is off the pedal. I thought I was going to be pushing down on the pedal to clamp the chain. You have to make a few adjustments to get everything to work properly. Once you get the hang of it, it does speed things up. The foot pedal doesn't stay put. I am sure I will add a thin piece of plate under it. I want it as close the ground as possible. A small foot lift doesn't sound like much until you do it over and over and over and over again.
I think I am going to make a larger front clamp plate. I still get the back tooth to walk up when I touch it with the wheel. I may modify the tooth stop gauge while im at it also.

What does USG stand for, or is an abbreviation of? USG means United States Gypsum in my word association. I found a grinder on Stihl's site which must pertain to here.

USG stands for "Universal Schärfgerät" and means "universal sharpening tool" Them germans hold on tight to their own language...

I had a USG myself which is an excellent grinder btw, but the manual clamping got on my nerves as well. So I sold it and replaced it by a Tecomec super Jolly grinder with automatic clamping. Really much faster and a good grinder as well.
DSC01697 (Medium).JPG

If it is in the 2016 pricelist, it is still available.
Supposedly....
Hey Harley, just wanted to say thanks :cheers:.
Because of the above info I was able to get the foot pedal for mine.
The funny thing is that was a long time ago now, I was just cleaning up some bookmarks on my computer and saw this, so I figured I'd reply.
Hope everyone is having a great day.

Latest posts

Back