Stihl Wood Boss 024 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosemaster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm working on a Stihl Wood Boss 024AV chainsaw and was needing to know the best way to remove the carburetor. It's sitting back inside a pocket of the saw's plastic to where I can't unhook the throttle linkage so the carburetor will come out. Is there an easy method on removing the carburetor? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

That's what I was hoping someone would say because I was looking like that was what I needed to do. Is there a special way the top piece comes off? I was fooling with it some but it didn't want to come off easily so I didn't try to force it and break it. Thanks for replying.

I just came inside after working on a 024 in my garage. There's two ways to do this. You can pull the throttle trigger to wide open then use a small screwdriver to hold the throttle plate open and while holding it open use another small screwdriver or pair of small needle nose pliers to push the throttle rod away from the carburetor. It's easier than it sounds. The second way is to remove the slotted screw from the underside of the handle. Once it's off the black cover comes off from the rear pivoting at the front near the carburetor. Go slowly because there is a small spring holding the safety interlock on the top. Once the cover is off the throttle rod comes off the trigger easily. If you want you can remove the carburetor with it attached or remove it the way I described above. I hope this helps.

I want to thank everyone who replied. I successfully got the carburetor removed. Will the fuel line for the newer style 024 chainsaw work on this older model 024 av? I'm having a hard time finding the correct straight fuel line it calls for. Part# 1121 358 7705.

I'm also going through my 024AV and found that the recommended fuel line hose is # 1121 358 7700 which is not straight but has two bends so the pick up end will draw fuel from the tank whether the saw is cutting horizontally or vertically which is the shape of the original one I removed during my project.

One problem I had and I know others have had is the factory hole in the top of the tank is a bit too small so it has to be enlarged unless you buy a Stihl brand hose from a dealer.

My saw had a straight hose. I replaced it with a double bend hose. The grommet was larger than the original but it fit. This saw drove me nuts because after a carb rebuild and a new impulse line because the original had a hole it wouldn't start. The problem was the fuel line. Runs great now.

I want to thank everyone who replied. I successfully got the carburetor removed. Will the fuel line for the newer style 024 chainsaw work on this older model 024 av? I'm having a hard time finding the correct straight fuel line it calls for. Part# 1121 358 7705.
You can also use the hose from the 026 PRO and MS 260 saws but you'll have to enlarge the tank opening to accept the newer hose. I think the old one is 8mm and the new one is 10mm. The newer hose has the kink in it for getting fuel when the saw is on its side.

really!? I don't have to use the annoyingly expensive molded fuel line on 024s and 026s? Its the correct size for the tank hole?

The OEM original hose was a molded hose with a grommet where it went through the tank. It was straight. The one I replaced it with had two bends in it and the grommet was slightly larger.

I wouldn't use bulk hose, I don't think it will seal.

Fwiw, I found that the straight fuel line # 1121 358 7705 was used on the early model 024 saws. The later model saws used # 1121 358 7700 that had 2 bends below the grommet which was designed as an improvement over the straight one because it allows for pulling fuel better in all saw positions particularly when cutting horizontally especially when the fuel tank level gets lower.

Just thought it was worth mentioning!

Latest posts

Back