Stihl's are WAY too expensive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Troll takes a nap

No 290s or 310s here either....:biggrinbounce2:

I am not biting.........:cheers: :hmm3grin2orange:

Twas a nice Troll that lived in the land,
Where tall pines and snow go hand 'n hand,

Now in IPLs and book learnin' he's so rich,
But richest of all because of SawWitch,

Now he had an ol' Raket and a three fifty three,
But he said to the SawWitch I need to have three,

So he promised with three that he would be done,
When he got his beloved three sixty one,

But a rumor was spreadin' that the queen was through,
Husky's not makin' another three seventy two,

So with a check of the specs and nary a pause,
The SawWitch had conspired with ol' Santa Claus,

To deliver the fine Husky before Christmas day,
All shiney and bright, chain on the wrong way,

Now SawWitch was thinkin', I need a new saw,
But I can't pry the three sixty one from the Troll's paw,

Troll knew the Stihl was the saw that she lacked,
And that he just might lose it if he didn't act,

So he bought her a 290, or so it seemed,
Until he awoke from this most terrible dream.

I knew the Yens echange rate on the USD wasn't good but I didn't think it was that bad.Interesting how a country so dependant on export can be so protectionist with imports.

As for CDN money = monopoly money there may be some truth in that but on the other hand,I was in a bar in Portland one time and tipped the waitress but it was sort of dark and US money all looks the same.She was awful friendly afterwards and as far as I could determine later I tipped her a 50.Good tip for weak beer I thought at the time:hmm3grin2orange: ;)

Japanese tariffs

Are there any trees in Japan that need felling? Seems that they buy a lot of Oregon export wood at a fairly high price.

It is not the exchange rate that makes the Stihl saws expensive there. Its the import taxes that makes them so expensive. Heck, some years ago Harley Davidson convinced congress to hike up the prices of Jap bikes with import taxes to save them from going under. Seems to have worked. I had a Suzuki at the time. GS750. Rubber band on two wheels. That thing screamed, and was way faster than any Harley out there.

Ah, the days of my youth! Squandered on women, beer and motorcycles.

Twas a nice Troll that lived in the land,
Where tall pines and snow go hand 'n hand,

Now in IPLs and book learnin' he's so rich,
But richest of all because of SawWitch,

Now he had an ol' Raket and a three fifty three,
But he said to the SawWitch I need to have three,

So he promised with three that he would be done,
When he got his beloved three sixty one,

But a rumor was spreadin' that the queen was through,
Husky's not makin' another three seventy two,

So with a check of the specs and nary a pause,
The SawWitch had conspired with ol' Santa Claus,

To deliver the fine Husky before Christmas day,
All shiney and bright, chain on the wrong way,

Now SawWitch was thinkin', I need a new saw,
But I can't pry the three sixty one from the Troll's paw,

Troll knew the Stihl was the saw that she lacked,
And that he just might lose it if he didn't act,

So he bought her a 290, or so it seemed,
Until he awoke from this most terrible dream.

:ices_rofl::rockn: :rockn: :rockn: :rockn:

...I was in a bar in Portland one time and tipped the waitress but it was sort of dark and US money all looks the same.She was awful friendly afterwards and as far as I could determine later I tipped her a 50.Good tip for weak beer I thought at the time:hmm3grin2orange: ;)

Which bar? I used to live in Portland...been thrown out of some of the best!

The 441 hasn't been released there yet.

Wonder how much it costs to have tree taken down... Imagine what a piston and cylinder costs!

I'm a firm believer that Stihl should have released the 441 all over and not held it back from certain markets, both because it's in my opinion a very good saw, and also cause it's cleaner. In Brazil you can still get 61 husky. No reason for those ancient units that put our more crap in an hour than your car does in a week when there are better options available to be sold anywhere in my opinion. Manufacturers seem to just build/sell to the standard and nothing beyond. They certainly don't seem to want to introducte the newer/cleaner units into countries that don't have more stringent standards until those places up their standards and force them to.

Which bar? I used to live in Portland...been thrown out of some of the best!

I can't remember now to tell you the truth as it was about 20 years ago.At the time I was talking to guy and he said I must like it much better here than Nova Scotia to which I replied It was nice but not really a whole lot different but he wouldn't let that thought die.After about 10 min of him telling me how lucky I was to be there and not home I said,you're right,weak beer,play money,rotten cigarettes and an A.H. on the next stool-it doesn't get any better than this.At this point the wife decided it was best I left:hmm3grin2orange: That wasn't you was it:mad: ;)

I can't remember now to tell you the truth as it was about 20 years ago.At the time I was talking to guy and he said I must like it much better here than Nova Scotia to which I replied It was nice but not really a whole lot different but he wouldn't let that thought die.After about 10 min of him telling me how lucky I was to be there and not home I said,you're right,weak beer,play money,rotten cigarettes and an A.H. on the next stool-it doesn't get any better than this.At this point the wife decided it was best I left:hmm3grin2orange: That wasn't you was it:mad: ;)

Hey...that guy wasn't wearing BLUE JEANS BY ANY CHANCE, WAS HE??? :laugh: :laugh:

I never got to see Nova Scotia, as I only lived in Portland for just less than a year, but from what I hear the two are awfully similar, at least in topography and love of beer. I do miss the area, though. The one thing I didn't like was the early nightfalls, though. Maine is the farthest east you can go in the U.S., and it's still in the Eastern time zone. There were times, in the dead of winter, when I wish we would have been on Atlantic time...at least then it wouldn't have been pitch-friggin-dark at 3:30 in the afternoon.

Hey...that guy wasn't wearing BLUE JEANS BY ANY CHANCE, WAS HE??? :laugh: :laugh:

So it was you:buttkick: :D

Actually,very little difference the most noticeable being Maine's roads are much better.Given the locations people do pretty much the same things for work and play-and go to bed early in the winter time:eek: :cry:

So it was you:buttkick: :D

Actually,very little difference the most noticeable being Maine's roads are much better.Given the locations people do pretty much the same things for work and play-and go to bed early in the winter time:eek: :cry:

You wanna talk about bad roads...you ought to live where I do now. I've always said no self-respecting third-world dirt farmer would drive his donkey down these roads.

There are people here who fish in our potholes.

I do miss the roads of Maine, although as I recall there were quite a few moose accidents on them. And that's never good...

Latest posts

Back