Stihl's new 2 in 1 sharpener?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the Pferd, if your rakers are set properly, the file won't grind them. Two guide rails are on there to keep it from constantly going down.

Yep, thats how they work! The depth gauges only get touched if the cutters have lowered, otherwise, the file doesnt hit them. I have two of the husky branded ones and they work great.

Ony complaint I have on this system is cost of the raker file.

I know some of you go through many many chains per year, but I still don't think it takes long to file down the rakers with a raker file and the saw mounted on a bench. I can buzz a chain up pretty quick and I usually do it ever few times also.

From what I understand about the Pferd (and I guess the Husqvarna and Stihl likely follow suit) is that you need a different guide for each size of file. Please correct me if I am wrong. The ole granberg at least takes whatever file I need to use. And the rakers get a touch up every 4th or 5th filing with the sit on top Oregon. I do, however, think that this style of two files at once guide is pretty cool looking. :msp_wink: Maybe my CAD medication has the side effect of sharpening tool addiction... the shelf has a couple of grinders, oregon sure sharp, a couple of granbergs (best of the lot), numerous other hand file guides.:rolleyes2:

Yes there are different size Pferd chain sharp or husky/Stihl versions required, but it's only the 3/8 saws that do so much work you need to sharpen them in the field :msp_wink:

My .325 saw doesn't get dull as it only gets used to limb green wood branches up in the air. Or maybe cut loose the big saws bar & chain carefully.

Home sharpening is done with Stihl fg2. Or the cheap grinder for ugly chains.

Maybe you need a fg2 for your collection?

I used a Stihl 2 in 1 file holder several times today with mixed results. The file is nice to handle and keep the angle set as the landmarks on the file are excellent. It's weight, rails and handle size seem to give me better control over the file only needing one pass for each cutter to freshen up the edge, I can't do that with just a hand file. The one thing I did notice and wasn't that happy about is that each time I filed the chain it took material off the depth guages and I could feel it in the cut becoming over aggressive (36RM / MS460). I think I will use it again but with the flat file removed from the holder and do it with a hand gauge and flat file when needed.

Finally tried one of these, recently. Working with a volunteer group, including many new saw users. Seemed to be easy for them to understand, and we did not have to explain 'depth gauges' or 'rakers' etc. Did not do a microscopic comparison with other methods, but got acceptable cutting edges in the field, which was the point. Seemed to be more intuitive to hold, with the 2 hand grip, than the conventional style file holders. Had to label them with markers, so that they know which file guide to use with which saws / chain pitch, and had to emphasize rotating the files occasionally. Overall, seemed like a good, low tech method for a lot of users looking for a basic chain sharpening method.

IMG_5008.jpg

Philbert

Related thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/anyone-using-the-stihl-2-in-1-sharpener.244318/

Latest posts

Back