Stihl's new throttle handle chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Stihl is offering on some saws a

QS Braking System
2. The large throttle interlock lever activates the second brake system. the right hand must be completely removed from the rear handle, (to activate this brake). This system is designed to stop the chain within one second.

Has anyone run any of these saws yet?

I understand this feature may be coming to more saws.

It is far from new, they have been making them for at least 10 years.

The best thing you can do, probably is to forget they ever existed.

First; It adds weigh and complexty to the saw without solving a real problem.

Second; It may (or will) lead to premature wear of the brake band.

Third, and most important; Imo it is potensially dangerous. When having it , you get used the fact that the chain stops as soon as you let go of the rear handle. Sooner or later (it has been reported to happen) some chip or other debris will block it from functioning properly - and the chain does not stop .....
:jawdrop: :censored: :cry:

Last edited:
There's a reason why you don't see it on professional saws. It's a BS homeowner feature, and that's where it ends. Skip it, adjust your chainbrake and carb properly, and your chain will stop when you're off throttle like it should anyway. Your brake flag will handle kickback like it was designed to.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
There's a reason why you don't see it on professional saws. It's a BS homeowner feature, and that's where it ends. Skip it, adjust your chainbrake and carb properly, and your chain will stop when you're off throttle like it should anyway. Your brake flag will handle kickback like it was designed to.

Jeff
Not on professional saws? Check again: MS 361 C-Q

I wouldn't want it, but it's out there. Just so it doesn't become required or standard on most saws.

musher said:
Not on professional saws? Check again: MS 361 C-Q

I wouldn't want it, but it's out there. Just so it doesn't become required or standard on most saws.

Good point, that thing is worthless. I have never sold one or had one customer to even ask to see it or how it works. I'm not sure but I think that thing was made for some county goverment safety bull somewhere here in the USA. I don't know why Stilh bothers trying to please such a limited small group, seems pointless to me.

Hearsay judgement

It does look like it would be a pain to have to squeeze additional buttons. However, I'm not opposed to safety devices if they actually improve safety, are reliable, and easy to use. I'll heft 8 more ounces and buy a 15 dollar clutch band every two years-not a problem. If it works. I remember everyone bellyaching when they enacted the mandatory seatbelt laws around here years ago, including me. Now it's second nature and not a problem. I don't hear of people flying thru windshields much anymore. If it works well and stops a spinning chain faster than before or in certain situations I'd run it. I wouldn't rely on carb adjustment and chain tension to stop a chain though. Sure it helps and I run my saws that way too.
Any of you guys actually run the latest design in wood for a while?
Also, is it possible if your throttle hand slips off the handle in a bad kickback that this device would stop the chain before the flag brake? Any conceivable instance when the flag break couldn't be activated and the throttle device would? If so then I'd consider that a good thing. Maybe it is junk. For now I'll forego the hearsay & reserve judgement till I've run one. Flame away

Last edited:
No flaming here, Jake, you're entitled to your opinion, and your's is sound. When I mentioned the carb tuning and chain tension, I was referring to the chain stopping under normal operation, not during a kickback scenario. I'd not rely on them for that. Some like the Q brake thing so that the chain isn't spinning while they walk around with the saw, or when the put the saw down. Carb adjustment and chain tension are the answers to that. I don't want you thinking I was relying on them for safety measures.

My thoughts on it are this-First of all saying that yes, kickback is not 100% unavoidable, but I'd say that it is 99% avoidable with proper use of your head. (Not saying you, or anyone doesn't use their head...) Sure, it's a safety device, as are seatbelts. But so is a five point racing harness and a helmet in a car. But that's a bit of overkill most would say, though some maybe not. In my eyes, the Q is a contraption that requires more effort than what it's worth. The other day I was nipping the back of a tree at a funny angle. There was no other way to get to where I was cutting, other than to nip with the top of my tip. Trust me, I tried like mad. Well, just nipping that little piece of holding wood, my saw kept kicking straight back. Not kicking back into my face, but kicking straight back into my stance. That darn brake flag was working like a champ. It was activating the brake purely by it's inertia on all those little micro-kickbacks I was getting. My hand wasn't even touching it to activate it. Seeing that, I feel safe without the Q on there complicating things and requiring my attention. That's my take on it.

Jeff

don't know beans

We've got over 40,000 chain saw injuries a year in the US.
What I don't know beans about, is that if this handle would significantly affect that number.
It probably would have no statistical change on one handing saws.
No effect on the left thumb misplaced on the handlebar.
___________? Effect on the saws being kicked back toward the chaps.

Maybe what stihl is doing is actually a good compromise.
The pro saws aren't stuck with it; some lesser sized home based saws get it.

Then again. I don't know.

The one I don't like is the Husky one just above the throttle handle that is more along the lines of the front brake.

There are outfits that have rules like if you're gonna take 2 steps, your chain brake has to be engaged. In those instances, the stihl mod might be a great fit.

I wonder how difficult it is to change the brake spring on a stihl? The inboard clutch design of stihls don't need repairs the way some outboard clutch huskies do. I would think that this design would be higher maintenance than in the past.

Latest posts

Back