Stilh 240 AV Repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
I searched for any info on this saw on this web site and nothing came up. I might be doing something wrong when I am searching. Any ways my 90 year old father-in-law passed away a little while ago and the kids were at the point of starting to sort out the house and out buildings. While cleaning out the machine shed I came across this Sthil 240 AV Farm Boss chainsaw. It was covered with crap and probably has not run for at least 10 years. I spent an hour today and cleaned it up as best I could and did a little checking on it. It does have compression but no spark and the gas tank was dry. My question would be assuming it has not been gassed (which I doubt) best guess could I put a couple hundred dollars in this and get it running? Kind of like the idea of bringing it back to life in honor of my FIL.100_3126.JPG Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the replies Farmer Steve I wonder why my searches resulted in zero returns. I might not have been signed in that might have been the problem. I have read a good number of your searched threads and I am seeing more positive then negative. If these first came out in the early eighties if my FIL bought it new he would have only been in his mid 50s.

Well I got my answer for trying to fix it up. I took it to my local Stihl dealer and had it check out. Stopped back in today and was told the coil was bad and it would cost $140. just for the coil with no labor. He told me it would surely need some carb work and other stuff. So his best guess was I would easily come in north of $300 with labor. It was a good thought but if I am going to spend that kind of money I will invest in a new saw.

Well I got my answer for trying to fix it up. I took it to my local Stihl dealer and had it check out. Stopped back in today and was told the coil was bad and it would cost $140. just for the coil with no labor. He told me it would surely need some carb work and other stuff. So his best guess was I would easily come in north of $300 with labor. It was a good thought but if I am going to spend that kind of money I will invest in a new saw.
i guess that you could find an a.m. coil a lot cheaper. i be at my stihl shop next week. let me check some things out.

I have about the opposite problem with a vintage Stihl 024 AV (not a 240 as the post title reads). Mine has a good spark but "only" 125 psi compression cold. It starts and runs but kicks out some smoke and seems a bit under powered. However, I'll run it for awhile and see if it breaks in and if the smoke disappears. If it still smokes after three tanks of good fuel, I'll rebuild the top end and give it a second chance.

My question to Dogsout is this: How do you know that your saw's engine has no spark? How did you check that?

Back