Stinky oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got a bunch of stihl ultra with my saw, it seems to be good oil but it smells to me like trash burning. At first when I started running it I had to check my equipment to make sure some plastic pieces weren’t on fire. Anyone have an equivalent they like from a major manufacturer that doesn’t smell bad? I used to use box store husqvarna oil, and can’t remember it ever smelling this bad.

I got a bunch of stihl ultra with my saw, it seems to be good oil but it smells to me like trash burning. At first when I started running it I had to check my equipment to make sure some plastic pieces weren’t on fire. Anyone have an equivalent they like from a major manufacturer that doesn’t smell bad? I used to use box store husqvarna oil, and can’t remember it ever smelling this bad.
I got some with my Stihl trimmer. I don't like it either. I am using amsoil saber right now. I like it. If you have to have a manufacturer oil. I have heard good things about Dolmar synthetic and Echo red armor but I have never used them.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I use Ultra and really never noticed the smell. Back in the 80’s when I worked for a state Highway Dept. We only had old Homelite saws that were mixed 32:1 I think or richer. 30W motor oil was what we used in the mix. You spend the day in a cloud of blue smoke then you can complain. The wife knew what I did when I got home at night. You smell like 2 stroke exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used ultra a little while but was getting horrible headaches. I stopped using it and no more headaches.

Back