STOCK 562XP Vs Ported 562XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bar wasn't the same, was the chain the same?
Yes, the chains were the same. Both were Stihl 3/8 RSC 72 DL. The stock saw is mine. I am in the process of Muffler Modding mine. There will be more video with the MM'd saw vs the ported MM'd saw probably this week. There is a 20" oak limb just waiting for this.

The chain really needs to be the exact same, not just the same make and model. Also, different bars may make a differense - in some tests I have seen Total (Tsumura really) bars have been faster than Stihl bars, when everything else was the same. ;)

The chain really needs to be the exact same, not just the same make and model. Also, different bars may make a differense - in some tests I have seen Total (Tsumura really) bars have been faster than Stihl bars, when everything else was the same. ;)
The chains were the same. Had fun that day !

The chains were bought at the same time and came off the same spool. I think that meets the criteria for "exact".

Funny thing about the Total bar. It's stamped .050/.058. These chains were .050. The Stihl bar is stamped .050.

The chains were bought at the same time and came off the same spool. I think that meets the criteria for "exact".
I wish that were the the case for the chains I buy. It seems every other one I buy needs attention out of the box. The may of course not be from the same roll. It seems the first guy had a lighter touch. The stock saw seemed to hold more rpm. I would expect the ported saw to run a bit faster with the same load. It does cut faster and seems to be loaded better. That's just how it appears from the other end of the internet

Funny thing about the Total bar. It's stamped .050/.058. These chains were .050. The Stihl bar is stamped .050.

The nose likely is what is marked .050/.058, as even Tsumura don't have pure .050 RSN noses (most others use .063 noses on all gauge RSN bars). That tip is .058, but the rails of the bar could be .050. That info is on the bar body.

Not really, but close, provided they both were fresh chain, and any sharpening before use done by the same person.

Actually all new chain need to be filed to do their best, and the raker setting need to be checked (they occationally are too high), but that really is another story....

Those vids match my experience with my 562 before and after terry did rude things to it.
Definitely cuts faster, but much less sensitive to operator input/skill, with the stock saw it's a fine line between bogging and it revving it's tits off, ported you can dog it in or let it self feed and it flat out hauls either way.

In the stock cut you need to load the saw more instead of letting it scream. Steve
For cut times to be consistent, no leveraging should be done with the dawgs. It should be a level saw, cutting straight down, maintaining a moderate load on the saw at all times. A very different technique was used on the stock saw. The two saws sound nearly the same to me.

Time seems to be about half on the ported saw. approx. 40sec cut on the stock saw and 20secs on the ported. Will be interesting to see
a stock saw with MM vs the ported one. I've heard that a simple MM will wake these saws up.

Much of that is due to the technique that was used. The stock saw was almost free revving instead of cutting wood.
Seems we need a redo so we can see the actual difference. If a 562 with MM can cut anywhere close to a ported 562 I am wondering why port one? Maybe next video will be same technique, same b/c. Then we can see the true difference.

Back