Stock MS361 vs Ported MS361 with a sad ending vids

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chadihman

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I recently cut the squish band,lowered the deck and ported a MS361. This was the first saw jug I ever put on my lathe and the second saw I ever ported. I ran two tanks through the 361 yesterday and was really impressed with it's power. It was blowing a tad over 200 psi compression. I ran it some more today and then put it up against my brothers stock 361. Both have new chains on 20" bars and the ported 361 has an 8 pin sprocket. I got sick when the saw seemed to loose rpms and bog down. I gave it throttle and it cleared up so I figured it was ok and we started to video. My ported 361 beat my brothers stock 361 by 4 seconds but I felt that my newly ported 361 was not running as strong as the day before. I really felt sick when I could feel the pull cord pulling much easier.
I got the ported 361 home and tested the compression. It was now blowing 140 psi:bang:. I pulled the muffler and found a slightly scorn piston and rings that were worn also:bang: I'll tear it down monday to see how bad it really is. The saw was tuned 13,500 yesterday and then I leaned it out to 14,300 today. I guess that was where I goofed but I sure thought it was still four strokin. The rings look as if they were snagging. I think I may have made the top of the exhaust port a little to flat.
I'm planning on starting over again and thought I would try a big bore kit and port it to the same numbers. Or find a good used jug. I think this saw would have beat the stock 361 by more if we would have taken the video yesterday when it was blowin over 200 psi.
[video=youtube_share;Wc9fO3H8fhk]http://youtu.be/Wc9fO3H8fhk[/video]

chadihman

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sounded seriously lean there. Did you use a base gasket or sealant?

Base gasket. I fully agree, it sure did sound lean in the video. That would be the first saw I ever did damage to. Rebuilt loads of saws that were tuned by ear and checked with tach. That will be the last time I ever try to get a few extra rpms out of a saw.

tlandrum

tlandrum

dealer,saw builder
you live and you learn. its never a good idea to lean a work saw out just for the sake of a few out of the wood rpm. it needs fuel in the cut to keep the rpm and to keep the motor cool

wigglesworth

wigglesworth

Booned
Base gasket. I fully agree, it sure did sound lean in the video. That would be the first saw I ever did damage to. Rebuilt loads of saws that were tuned by ear and checked with tach. That will be the last time I ever try to get a few extra rpms out of a saw.

Man, I hate it for ya. Sucks puking a saw. I've been there. Flat sux.

What timing numbers u use? Can u reshape the exhaust and not throw it out of whack?

chadihman

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Man, I hate it for ya. Sucks puking a saw. I've been there. Flat sux.

What timing numbers u use? Can u reshape the exhaust and not throw it out of whack?

I'm at 102 deg atdc on the exhaust so I could probably take it to 100 deg to give it a little more of a radius. That would probably give me a little more rpm also. In is at 100 deg abdc Tr are at 135 deg atdc I would probably raise them a little more shooting for 127 deg atdc or so

chadihman

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
What are you using to grind on the ports initially?

Double cut carbide for most of the removal in the ex port then a round file to finish the ex port before polishing it. I used a 90 mini die grinder with a carbide bit for the transfers. That was a little nerve racking though. I read that some use a small wheel. I'll have to try that next.

tlandrum

tlandrum

dealer,saw builder
you could go to 100 with no problems, i think you could stand to loose a few psi of compression from the 200. and you do need to raise those tranfers quite a bit.

514mach1

514mach1

ArboristSite Operative
I tune it to be quite rich at WOT so it's obviously 4 stroking. Then I find a decent size hunk of wood to put a respectable load on the saw. I cut through about 1/3 of the way and fine tune the H needle so it's just a bit leaner than 4 stroking under load. If it still 4 strokes without load, I leave it at that. May not be optimal, but it seems to work ok.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
I think you'll get better results raising the exhaust a little and the transfers up with the cylinder you have. You've already done the machine work on it so raising the exhaust and transfers is a small amount of work on it.

chadihman

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think you'll get better results raising the exhaust a little and the transfers up with the cylinder you have. You've already done the machine work on it so raising the exhaust and transfers is a small amount of work on it.

yeah I spent a good amount of time with it on the lathe so hopefully the cylinder is ok.