Stopping tulip poplar from dropping leaves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lc130

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a large poplar on the front lawn that starts to drop it's leaves mid July annually. Today I filled 4 paper leaf bags before I could mow, Is there anyway to slow this? Would a heavy pruning help? I've read that the tree does this if lacks water. With less limbs would it need less water? I'm afraid heavy watering would kill the grass.

Thanks for suggestions.

Kelly in Maryland

Hi All

I have a large poplar on the front lawn that starts to drop it's leaves mid July annually. Today I filled 4 paper leaf bags before I could mow, Is there anyway to slow this? Would a heavy pruning help? I've read that the tree does this if lacks water. With less limbs would it need less water? I'm afraid heavy watering would kill the grass.

Thanks for suggestions.

Kelly in Maryland
Water it during lean times at night with a bag setup or soaker hose.

It is natural for some trees to shed leaves as the weather turns warmer and dryer. Setting more leaves that a normal season has rainfall to support has somewhat of a survival advantage (by growing bigger and stronger) when those seasons come along that have an abundance of rain.

Lawn and trees have different water requirements and frequencies. Lawns like more frequent shallow watering whereas trees like less frequent deep waterings. By frequently watering the lawn the tree develops a higher percentage of it's roots in a shallower zone. Then when a dry spell hits the tree does have as many deep roots and the tree can suffer.

Hi All

Thanks for suggestions.

Kelly in Maryland
The grass? I thought you were looking for a solution to a health issue with your Tulip Tree? Water it, and replace the grass next year............its really that simple. Common sense prevails everytime.

What is interesting is that this happens like clockwork starting mid July every year regardless of rainfall.

What is interesting is that this happens like clockwork starting mid July every year regardless of rainfall.
It seems to vary a little around here depending on how dry it is. We have had abundant rainfall lately and our poplars are not dropping leaves yet.

Somehow I forgot that I have two other trees of the same species that are not dropping their leaves. What could the difference be?

Latest posts

Back