Hangin' up my spurs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well said! if everyone wrote like unc, its a real treat to read and understand so well through unc's writing as if you were there!!

I've done a bit of writing - I enjoy it, and hope to have more time for it one of these days. In fact I do have that as a backup plan if I ever get too hurt to continue with 'real' work. Got a children's book series lined up (I'll need to find a good illustrator) and a bunch of short stories, a great idea for a science-fiction novel, and my 'memoirs' of my strange and fascinating life (kinda like James Herriot).

But writing is one thing, getting published is another, and I may starve to death before I ever publish.

Actually I probably could get in a few hours of writing every night, but for some reason I'd rather spend that time on AS and facebook. Ah, the easy road is so well traveled.....

My sil has a tree service company and before he got some bucket trucks he climbed everything toting a 7900. I watched him climb a couple times, and even though he knew what he was doing it scared the hell out of me watching. All I could think was he's going to widow my daughter sooner than later.

That's a good one.

It would amaze you how many people fail to comprehend that....or won't let themselves come to terms with it.

As I stated....some things in life are black and white...especially where the chance of death is involved.....no gray. Once your heart isn't into it to accept either way of the coin toss...then you get hurt.

This is in no way a sleight on Unc, by no means. At all.

I admire and seriously respect the fact that he said screw it I'm done.

I've personally seen too many guys that wouldn't do that and just get pounded into the ground...literally.

Glad it worked out Josh. There is no shame in walking away.....alive. Even with 20 years experience there have been days i just wasn't "feeling" it. Maybe i was a little under the weather, had something on my mind, or just tired but i didn't feel I had it that day and asked someone else to climb. Its only been a few times but it does happen.

I'm having a little trouble with this part... I don't know of a single arborist climbing rope that is 5/8" and the unicender is designed for 11mm ~ 13mm ropes.

I have samson true blue that is 5/8. I couldn't tell you about the unicender as I have not used one.

Which is the right thing to do. I still have those days, and I'm almost 60. When I ain't feelin' it, I don't climb. The tree will still be there tomorrow.
I don't work for myself so it still has to be done so it can't still be there tomorrow[emoji1] but there is another guy on my ground crew can climb.

Every pro athlete wants to walk away from it. Some are not wise enough to choose when and they are carried away from it. Hold your head high because you have done a job that very few can.

It's funny how you can be cool as a cucumber with doing something one day, and the next day you nearly soil your trousers doing it. I cleaned my chimney this past summer without incident, but when I grabbed the ladder to climb down I got all woozy and sweaty. Had to sit down on the roof for five minutes to work up the courage to swing out over the edge. Considering I've done my share of roofing and construction work, I felt a bit silly. Sounds like you've made a good decision. Family is always more important than hobbies, professions, etc....Kudos!

It's funny how you can be cool as a cucumber with doing something one day, and the next day you nearly soil your trousers doing it. I cleaned my chimney this past summer without incident, but when I grabbed the ladder to climb down I got all woozy and sweaty. Had to sit down on the roof for five minutes to work up the courage to swing out over the edge. Considering I've done my share of roofing and construction work, I felt a bit silly. Sounds like you've made a good decision. Family is always more important than hobbies, professions, etc....Kudos!

Me and roofs are like that. I've done a fair bit of rock climbing in my early 20's and never had an issue 300' above the nearest horizontal surface, but get me on a steel roof with the same rope and harness I'll play Tarzan in trees with, and I'm not comfortable. I can function, but the ground seems so much harder 20 years later. :)

Wow Unc...that was indeed a very good read. And that tree looked pretty substantial to me! Glad to hear you made it out with minor injuries AND you did it all leaving that fence unscathed to boot:clap:. Great story and good for you for recognizing your limitations and your mortality!

Glad it worked out Josh. There is no shame in walking away.....alive. Even with 20 years experience there have been days i just wasn't "feeling" it. Maybe i was a little under the weather, had something on my mind, or just tired but i didn't feel I had it that day and asked someone else to climb. Its only been a few times but it does happen.

I don't climb, just cut firewood but there have been days when I got that feeling and canceled the plan.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back