Storing a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RanchDad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've lurked on here quite awhile, bought and sold a little, and would like to think I've learned a lot from this site. I'm not a professional logger, but I do enjoy working on and cutting with my saws. Because of the disease lots of people on here seem to suffer from, I have more saws than i can cut with consistently. My question is: what is the best way to store them(considering they may sit for a day or maybe for two months)? I cut pretty often, but I do tend to play favorites so in the past I've always dumped the fuel and run them dry before cleaning them up. Is dry the best way to store? I use 100% gas (non-ethanol) with the stihl ultra mix. What's y'alls opinion/advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never drained any of my saws/weedies/blowers before finding this sight. Never had any problems, but i never let stuff sit for more than a few months usually. I do now drain and run stuff dry. Some folks will use canned fuel as storage fuel, basically same as using fresh e-free fuel to store with. As said above, sounds like u got it covered. Only thing i guess a guy could do is run a really rich 25:1-30:1) batch of mix through to make sure theres a really nice film of oil. Doubt it would ever make a dofference tho haha

As I have many saws and never know which one I will run on any given day, I idle them dry before they go back on the shelf. If I don't they go on the ready to run shelf so I know they have fuel in them, but I try not to let them sit with fuel for more than a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Water is the enemy, keep your saws away from humidity or heat extremes, run it a little every month or so, even if it's just for a minute or so. Been working for me for a while now, I've got a collection of old saws now and this method works on all of them. If it's a shelf queen then by all means, run em dry.

What hasn't been mentioned sofar is bar oil. Mineral oil is typically problem free. Bio lube over one to two years can stiffen and cause problems on the bar/chain or oil pump/oil lines. I will add that I use bio oil in all my "regular" saws but in the old timers (contra, 040, etc.), they get mineral bar oil.

Further when after the last cut and the engine is still warm, I turn off my saw with the choke. Sucks in a little more fuel and the gas content evaporates rather quickly leaving the oil inside. Kind of eliminates the "fogging oil" of old days.

Latest posts

Back