Storing for summer, with or without bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magbarn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a previous thread detailing how I ended up buying a 346xp. After cutting up about 1 cord for cleanup, I need to store the saw. I've already searched the forums and there's tons of advice on what to do with the gas tank. Less clear is the bar oil tank. I've decided to run her dry on idle and left the gas cap cracked open so the remaining fuel can evaporate. I still have a half-full tank of the bar oil. Is it ok to leave it in there for about ~6 months? Or should I drain and dry it out like the gas tank too? Thanks in advance.

I am sure that I do the wrong thing, but I always leave the bar oil in there. I do not ever store my saws for 6 months though. I always get them out and run them once a month or so. It lets me know everything is still working and they sound so darn cool.

Adam

I am not sure you need to leave the fuel cap off to let the tank dry....just dump out the fuel, start the engine up and let it idle until it stops. Some will suggest then restarting with the choke to get the last bit of fuel out - I don't do that. Others complain that running the saw out of fuel will make it run lean - however an idling saw will not make enough heat or lean conditions to cause any damage....the saw is not making much heat at idle and there is plenty of excess oil at this low speed to prevent any damage.

For the oil tank I would suggest dumping out the oil and rinsing the tank with fuel oil, diesel or kerosene - something that is oily and not prone to going bad. When dumping out the oil only put it back into your bar oil jug if you have a strainer in your funnel.....you will be surprised how much wood chips are in the oil tank and you don't want to dump it in with your clean oil supply. I don't have any problem storing the saw with oil in it.....but it doesn't hurt to flush the tank out every now and then.....and when putting it up for storage is a good time.

i leave it in, unless its veg oil. that stuff is the best bar oil, but you cant let is sit for more than a month. it gums everyting up and is a real PITA to clean. Ive seen it so gummed up that it locks the chain in the bar, requiring chuck norris to remove it with a roundhouse kick.

Maybe I'm the oddball of the bunch but depending on how and where it is stored... I would drain all fluids and rinse the oil tank out with diesel. You never know when it'll seep out and make a mess of somewhere. My 019 is a seeper...drives me nuts...

I drain both the fuel and chain oil reservoirs before I store them. After I've emptied them, I turn the saw on its side and put a piece of cardboard or something under it and let it sit for a few hours with the caps off so all the oil and fuel can drain out. I don't wash the oil reservoir out with anything though because I figure it's good for the oiler assembly to at least remain lightly coated with bar oil while it's stored rather than be totally dry. I'm also afraid diesel or other solvents might cause premature wear to the oiler.

Diesel's cousin, kerosene, is used to dilute bar oil when ambient temperatures are low, so that it will flow. I would not be too concerned about it harming your saw. I would agree with you on other solvents.

Diesel's cousin, kerosene, is used to dilute bar oil when ambient temperatures are low, so that it will flow. I would not be too concerned about it harming your saw. I would agree with you on other solvents.

+1

diesel is actually an oil anyway :D:D:D

however i have seen it melt screwdriver handles, when left soaking overnight. Id rather use kerosene

i leave it in, unless its veg oil. that stuff is the best bar oil, but you cant let is sit for more than a month. it gums everyting up and is a real PITA to clean. Ive seen it so gummed up that it locks the chain in the bar, requiring chuck norris to remove it with a roundhouse kick.

yep...

Latest posts

Back