Storing/stacking Euro sized wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am being blessed with the opportunity to split and stack wood that is sub 8" long, on average. My normal length is 20" and 2 rows of 20" wood stack perfectly on a standard sized pallet.

Any ideas? Right now I'm stacking 2 rows and leaving the middle open to toss in the odd ball pieces. Problem is even the stacked rows are oddball... I dont want to go to pallets and baskets, even though I have them. They take up way to much space...

Perhaps a purpose built frame built on my normal '2 pallet separated by T posts' to toss them in?

My worry is that they are going to fall over. There isn't enough length in the wood to really tie anything together.

And the only identical pieces are the ones that came out of the same round. None of it is cut to any consistent length.

Even free I don't think I would bother with it. Do you have someone who will pay for it or is it going to be for your own use? Lots of extra work.

Thought did cross my mind. But I cant bring myself to do that. Its primo firewood. Cords and cords of oak and locust...

AND, its sized about right to load cigar style in both our burning apparatus.

ETA: Its going to be for personal use and most will likely be given away to needy families.

I would use a skid on the bottom and hog wire or woven wire and make rounds cages to store it in.

I have about 80 of these...

0adde726ff0cddea17a904db903fa06c.jpg

But they take up so much space... I suppose I could start storing them in the front yard....

That short I would just toss in a bin, to heck with stacking.

I'm afraid that's what I'm going to have to do. How much space will 13+ cords of tossed Euro size wood take up?

Thought did cross my mind. But I cant bring myself to do that. Its primo firewood. Cords and cords of oak and locust...

ETA: Its going to be for personal use and most will likely be given away to needy families.

But they take up so much space... I suppose I could start storing them in the front yard....

I'm afraid that's what I'm going to have to do. How much space will 13+ cords of tossed Euro size wood take up?
Just stack long rows. Leave about 3" in between the rows. About 2' up let the rows touch every 3' or so with one piece. This will tie the rows together and give you air. I have stacked 3 cords with this method at one clients house. T posts or something at the end of the long rows would make it easier.

You are blessed with it. In my stove the smaller pieces are easier for my wife to handle and I separate pieces between larger and smaller ones. I've tried stacking smaller ones in a four-sided 'box' (like a kid's fort) and then tossing the loose pieces into the center. The pile always falls. I've gone to tossing them into a tote container and it's been so much easier to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 546885

Work out the stacked cord equivalent in these and be done with the stacking.

I don't have the capacity to move something like that. A 275g tote frame filled level with freshly split wood is all my tractor wants.

These...

f9c54fdecffc0bd0a51572aa955e2e0f.jpg

Are 3' diameter x 3' high sitting on a 42" x 48" pallet. Filled with green wood is also all my tractor wants. Seasoned its not an issue.

EDIT: 3.5' diameter x 3' high.

Unsubscribing.

Dont go away mad....

Seriously... I dismissed the idea simply because of the size of the bag you attached... But I have been doing some looking and they can be had in various sizes....

http://www.bagcorpstore.com/35-x-35...m-br-Super-Sack-Container-Bulk-Bag_p_256.html

This would accomplish a couple issues and eliminate one of the ones using the homemade cages.... I could utilize all the airspace on a pallet and they can be stacked... I may give a few of them a try....

Please let us know when you've found out.Since I know Nothiinnnggggggg (-; Kaptan Klink

You could stack them like one of those conical sawdust burners or make a corn crib for the wood.
Not sure what your referring to but he could make a pyramid out of plywood or osb, say 2' wide sides at base and six feet tall. Stack all four sides, then go around it again, and again...building out equally on all four sides. Should not matter if some pieces are three or four inches longer, as it should equal out placing random pieces. And hopefully not tip over...

I see....

I think I'm limiting myself to a scale that's to small...

Make two rows of pallets, wide enough for your tractor to get in-between, and loose fill with shorties. Then you can scoop or hand load the bucket when needed.

I think if I expand on this and dedicate something like what Gypo mentioned, corn crib, I can come up with something. I really want to keep it off the ground so a layer of pallets and then some framing to secure the welded wire fence to.

Latest posts

Back