Storm Chassing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went through Lawton yesterday on my way home from Jacksboro, TX. Looked like some moderate damage but nothing on the scale of what we had in OK a couple of years ago. I saw the out of town companies too. Didn't look like a high paying storm though.

Storm chasing is a gamble. Lot's of trees on houses means insurance money but you have to be there quick to get the work tied down. Also depends on the size of the storm. If you send a crew down ahead of the storm and nothing materializes or it turns out to be a little one then you are out the money for food, gas and lodging you are paying for your men and or yourself. Wait til the storm hits and get there too late then all you are doing is cleanup. It's a gamble.

Smart money finds a local to contract with. There's good money in large storms but it sucks camping out (sometimes for weeks) without power and having to worry about every derelict in the country stealing your ####. The large outfits are the ones who end up making the biggest money by getting contracts to haul the debris.

Very good point about the debris hauling. I know of a several companies in this area that have chased storms, the ones that cut the trees made enough to pay expenses, but the one with the fleet of prentice loader trucks made a killing!

Expect the unexpected is the official military term, in the ranks they say errr....stuff happens.

Sanborn's rules for storm work

1. the damage area must cover more then one county
2. the storm must be in a major metro area
3. you need to get in the area in no later then 3-4 days after the event
4. the demand curve falls off after 2 weeks the money falls off after 3-4 weeks
5. fliers an door knocking only piss people off, you need to make people happy and network them. Word of mouth and performance in a neighborhood are the best ways to make it work.
6. there are different storms, some are labor intensive, some are equipment intensive. It is all capitol intensive.
7. after Katrina every one and their little sister has gotten the idea that there is big money in storm work. competition can get ugly.

:agree2: I have 4 good ice storms under my belt,and only you know how many you have.JPS but probably a good bit more than I.But this pretty sums up everything that I have learned thus far.Get in do good job get neighbors, friends ,relatives, churches talking about you be seen,and get while the getting is good.

:agree2: I have 4 good ice storms under my belt,and only you know how many you have.JPS but probably a good bit more than I.But this pretty sums up everything that I have learned thus far.Get in do good job get neighbors, friends ,relatives, churches talking about you be seen,and get while the getting is good.

Then what? Move there?
Jeff

Maybe sent some guys out before, but I don't leave. Nope, got plenty going on and wont do it. Storm chasing sounds desperate. Katrina needed help, but that is it. Let the locals do it.
Jeff

So other people in lesser storms can just suck an egg then.GOOD advice will tell them that on next storm when people feel helpless.

Maybe sent some guys out before, but I don't leave. Nope, got plenty going on and wont do it. Storm chasing sounds desperate. Katrina needed help, but that is it. Let the locals do it.
Jeff

Had a major ice storm in my are last year jeff.No Way I could have kept up or any of my competition.Hired outside help,which was not a money making venture.But people were helped.In a major storm there Is no way so called locals can keep up.And most outside contractors are only there for a short period of time just to get the worst out of the way.I,M not looking to relocate.

:)
Had a major ice storm in my are last year jeff.No Way I could have kept up or any of my competition.Hired outside help,which was not a money making venture.But people were helped.In a major storm there Is no way so called locals can keep up.And most outside contractors are only there for a short period of time just to get the worst out of the way.I,M not looking to relocate.

I hear you Man of the Ozark! I did not send climbers, went in to debris stuff cause we could afford to with taking a few guys that gave it a try and said they wont do it again. They were budgeted in and came in pretty good. No slow down in the big picture tho, thats all I was saying. A couple of roll-offs and the skid and the 5th wheel, they wanted to go and did good, they dont wanna any more.
Jeff

Local storms are awesome opportunities to serve your customers and, if done correctly, greatly expand your customer base. Long hours and good organization, and good networking are key to keeping up. We're truly fortunate to be working with a loyal customer base right now (those willing to wait for our service, and shoo off door knockers until we get to 'em). We left the yard at 7 this morning and pulled back in just after 1930 -- I love dark clean up.

Where in TX are you? (maybe I should just check your profile :) )

As far as traveling for storm work; well, most everyone I work with are up for it given certain circumstances. I think the 7 or 8 rules posted earlier from sanborn are tops. If all of that comes together and we don't have much else better to do then we're down for chasing. We've done well before without gambling too much. I think you really need to throw your hat in the ring and luck be on your side for it to REALLY pay off imo. To that I mean... Meet the storm down there, know the area, network and work your contacts. Price fairly and be there to help -- the money is there in the beginning, or for months with nitpicky clean up (for local guys).

shoops...rambled too much, time to go clean up and fall into bed. Good luck and post pictures. (d###, just realized I don't ever post pictures on here... I feel poor now ...i'll remedy that soon enough)

Be safe and welcome!

:)

I hear you Man of the Ozark! I did not send climbers, went in to debris stuff cause we could afford to with taking a few guys that gave it a try and said they wont do it again. They were budgeted in and came in pretty good. No slow down in the big picture tho, thats all I was saying. A couple of roll-offs and the skid and the 5th wheel, they wanted to go and did good, they dont wanna any more.
Jeff

I here ya jeff.NO ain't the place to be on a good day.much less a disaster.Do not blame them for not wanting to re-up.But there is a lot of people needing help and comfort from these disasters.All I,m saying and there is change to be made,for a short period of time.

Local storms are awesome opportunities to serve your customers and, if done correctly, greatly expand your customer base. Long hours and good organization, and good networking are key to keeping up. We're truly fortunate to be working with a loyal customer base right now (those willing to wait for our service, and shoo off door knockers until we get to 'em). We left the yard at 7 this morning and pulled back in just after 1930 -- I love dark clean up.

Where in TX are you? (maybe I should just check your profile :) )

As far as traveling for storm work; well, most everyone I work with are up for it given certain circumstances. I think the 7 or 8 rules posted earlier from sanborn are tops. If all of that comes together and we don't have much else better to do then we're down for chasing. We've done well before without gambling too much. I think you really need to throw your hat in the ring and luck be on your side for it to REALLY pay off imo. To that I mean... Meet the storm down there, know the area, network and work your contacts. Price fairly and be there to help -- the money is there in the beginning, or for months with nitpicky clean up (for local guys).

shoops...rambled too much, time to go clean up and fall into bed. Good luck and post pictures. (d###, just realized I don't ever post pictures on here... I feel poor now ...i'll remedy that soon enough)

Be safe and welcome!

WOW Irving,TX and only 1mil insurance.got that in a little podunk hillbilly town.Might have to check your profile.:greenchainsaw:

Local storms are awesome opportunities to serve your customers and, if done correctly, greatly expand your customer base.

Local storms are a very different game plan.

1. As soon as you can get out, start working your clients near home.

2. Send someone out to other regulars to "triage" and prioritize.

3. Bump your rates, people will understand that you will be on OT. Tell them rates will go down with time and you will be willing to take care of hazards first, and come back later for the grunt work. If they want it cleared out right away, then work out higher labor fee.

4. hire brush draggers, hire someone to !answer the phone!. Have them sort the leads geographically so the lead runner does not have to do any more work then necessary.

5. keep a map and pin out call-ins and current clients. Any outlier callins are told that you will show up on t&m contracts only. You have too much work to roll a crew without the commitment to do at least the hazard work.

6 incentivise the crew for profit and any additional work sold in an area. Each worker that closes a deal gets more out of it.

7. hire out of town guys to work on the non-client list, then you can pick them up as regular clients.

8. Screw the roadside brush-piles, espeically in high end neighborhoods, get paid to chip at least brush and leave logs. People with money will remember you for reducing the eye-sore. Unless you have worked a big storm you will not believe the size of these piles.

9. work with people with large lots on dump sites, many people love compost.

10. offer discounts to clients for refferals.

11. Due on completion, at least for non-client jobs. Be flexable with your clients.

12. take pictures for them, have your crew/equipment in the pictures. They will show these to people, not just the adjuster!

I've traveled to 3 ice storms (one as employee the other 2 as owner working on %'s) and took care of the local windstorm we had from IKE and Sandborn has said everything pretty much perfectly. I made decent money at the storms but it was still a PIA to be away from home and competing with 'johnny treemans" prices. If you're a "real" tree company you can't compete with the guy that is happy for $200 for the day. I still remember one lady asked me to take nasty hanger down and when I gave her the price she said "so and so said he would do it for $150. My reply was "Miss for $150 you couldn't get me to set my outriggers down".

Working storms pretty much suck, I like the work that comes after the clouds are gone , it reminds people to be mindful of those trees hanging over there house and while the other guys are playing catchup I'm out choosing some good work that no one else has time to look at , but the reality is for my customers I have to be there to clean up the mess..

If you're a "real" tree company you can't compete with the guy that is happy for $200 for the day. I still remember one lady asked me to take nasty hanger down and when I gave her the price she said "so and so said he would do it for $150. My reply was "Miss for $150 you couldn't get me to set my outriggers down".

That is an example of out-staying the demand curve, or doing a small storm. The good money is when the honest people appreciate paying good money for hard work. You come in with a 3 man crew and tell them you'll get them out of the driveway for $300, when it takes 45 min, and you exceed the deal they will often have you get more done, $100/mhr while on the road is very reasonable. It is after 3 weeks that the person with three trees on the house, who has taken 15 bids, will get mad because you ask for real money.

Most storms I have worked the bulk of the money is in the first 1-1.5 weeks, then it is good money out to 3-4 weeks, around 4 weeks there are 10 companies on every block, each throwing the last guys fliers in the trash. Everyone is pissing the citizens off with the constant badgering. Quite often even referrals do not work, because the problem has already had several proposals thrown at it.

very good info like i said i was just wondering what everybodys take on storm chaising was and ive learned a lot thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back