Straight pipe / through the wall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallElf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My father is re-doing his kitchen and was wondering the following.

What would be the recommended application for a Hearthstone II with a Catalyst.

Through the top and straight up through the ceiling (Single story kitchen)
Though the top and 90 through the wall then 90 up the side of the outside of the house
Out the back straight out the wall then 90 up the side of the house

I have a straight pipe, through the ceiling attic and roof and have a great draft.

Please advise.

Any bends will interfere with draft. A straight pipe is a better draft.

That said, through the wall will be less likely to leak in the rain then through the roof, though a proper install should not leak.

Advice can sometimes be worth what you pay for it.

I did mine through the roof and had "A" leak many moons ago. A little silicone on the outer cone kept that from happening.

An outside chimney will be cooler and thus build up more creosote and also have less draft. Keeping it inside and straight is preferable.

The straighter the better and the warmer the better. However, it will work in many configurations, some just a little better than others. I have three 90º bends in my pipe - first at the stove to go up (my exhaust is out the back of the stove), second to go out the wall, and third to go up the chimney. At this time of year, I have a little trouble with the draft, but only at first. I need to pre-heat my chimney. Once started, it drafts fine. I also get a little spillage of smoke if I open the door too fast. This is all because of the bends and the outside chimney.

I would go strait up . Your father will have better draft, easy to clean, and with keeping it inside you have more radiant heat coming of the stove pipe thus getting more use able heat per load of wood . Just my 2 cents worth.

Beefie

I hate to put any holes in a roof, but for a chimney it's worth it. Straight is great and protected from the outdoor wind and temp. is even better. Single story makes it a no brainer.

Keep in mind how close to a corner you want the pipe to be as well. One initial 90 degree bend is not optimal from a drafting perspective, but is better if space is tight and you want the pipe as tight as possible in a corner (compared to where a top-venting pipe would go, which would have to be further out in the room if placing the stove in a corner).

Agree with the others that inside and as straight as possible is the optimal goal to shoot for; keeping any 90-degree bend as close to the stove as possible is next-best (from a drafting perspective).

Latest posts

Back