Strait Gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caleath

Cliff Leath
Reaction score
Straight Gas...there is that better?

Forgive me for asking what might be a stupid question...I do it sometimes.

I did a search for it, no luck. I have never done it myself, but I found a saw cheap that says it was strait gassed. What usually goes bad first? P/C or crankshaft etc...

Its Echo 440...I wont pay more than 15 dollars for it so I wont be out much...just wondering what to look at having to replace.

Cliff

OK ok...I know how to spell...its was late when I typed it...

Last edited:
exhaust side piston and cylinder will be scored ,most often you can get the transfer on the cylinder to clean up and then replace the piston

I did a search for it, no luck. I have never done it myself, but I found a saw cheap that says it was strait gassed.

Perhaps your results may have been better if your search had been on "straight gas". Give that a try and see what happens. :clap:

exhaust side piston and cylinder will be scored ,most often you can get the transfer on the cylinder to clean up and then replace the piston

This. Obviously, other things can go wrong too, but more often than not, the saw dies with the piston failure & id say over 1/2 the time the rest of the saw is salvagable. Ive acquired a few freebies this way & been lucky with all so far.

Probably not the same situation but I stopped into my Stihl dealer about 2 years ago looking for HD weed trimmer. They had a nice used FS250 hanging and so inquired about it. Guy behind the counter tells me one of their employees picked it up at the landfill when they were dumping. Said it must have been straight gassed and was junk. I picked it up for $25 (they're around $400 new). I got it home, took it all the way down and couldn't find a thing wrong with it other than the recoil cover screws had come loose putting it in a bind when you tried to pull it over. Put it back together and she fired right up. Never had a bit of trouble with it. You could get lucky and find it's not much at all. Sorry if it's off topic, I don't mean to start a pissing contest on who got the best "junkyard find".

I would agree with the others though. Usually the piston/rings goes first obviously followed by the cylinder and it'll slowly work it's way south. It kind of comes down to how long it ran with the improper fuel. If it was truly straight gassed and a quick full speed kill, it probably just took out the top end. The piston travels faster in terms of linear speed than any other part and therefore "should" get burned out faster. If it were the wrong ratio for a long time, it could easily have enough time to take out the bottom end as well. However I've never seen a crank bearing go out other than from a bad seal. I've seen a lower rod bearing destroyed from the lean oil condition I spoke of. People adding another gallon of gas to their can and forgetting to add the oil to match. . . . I've never done that . . . . this guy I knew once who wishes to remain anonymous did it.

I did a search for it, no luck. I have never done it myself, but I found a saw cheap that says it was strait gassed. What usually goes bad first? P/C or crankshaft etc...

Its Echo 440...I wont pay more than 15 dollars for it so I wont be out much...just wondering what to look at having to replace.

Cliff

One more:
Are you in "dire straits" if your saw is "strait gassed"? ;) Sorry, Mark.

It kind of comes down to how long it ran with the improper fuel. If it was truly straight gassed and a quick full speed kill, it probably just took out the top end. The piston travels faster in terms of linear speed than any other part and therefore "should" get burned out faster. If it were the wrong ratio for a long time, it could easily have enough time to take out the bottom end as well.

Bingo. You're almost better finding a saw that fried after having 100% gas in it vs. one that ran on mix at 150-1 for weeks or something, causing it to lean out slowly.

Back