Strange flat tire tire, never happened before.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he's that unreliable and untrustworthy, why don't you introduce him to the unemployment line instead of badmouthing him on the internet?

Ian

A good rubber valve stem can be bent over to touch the rim and not crack. It sounds like an old valve stem or a tube in the tire. Get the tire taken apart and properly repaired.

There is NOT a tube in the tire pdqdl already said so. Presumably it's never been repaired in the past, and if it has ever been repaired then pdqdl was watching over the bloke's shoulder when he did it.:)

Actually, I think I have been pretty fair about this. I haven't yet accused nor insisted that anything was done on purpose or negligently. In fact, I was seeking the opinion of some of my peers to see if any others thought this an unusual situation, or if I was just being paranoid.

I guess it would help if you knew the driver: often absent, predictably slow when not supervised, and he is always ready with an excuse for whatever delay or problem was pointing at him.

Please note that it took him 20 minutes to discover that he could not put air in the tire. How long does it take to drive 150 to the air line at a truck stop ?

Also: I arrived BACK to the truck about one hour after he called me. He was not to be found. I fixed the tire unassisted (10-15 minutes ?), and then was forced to wander around the truck stop looking for him in every nook and cranny. I eventually found him, but there was NO reason why he couldn't have been sitting in the A/C looking out the window, watching for my return.

I broke a valve stem or two wheeling trucks into lift areas. Actually common as the bays in a dealer are rather close toogether with the lift arms laying low enough to easily squish the valve stem. hell, tire sidewall rips were common. No big deal, dealer pays cause they know what happened.
If I had to work onto top of the engine on a truck and didn't feel like standing on the ladder I would just pop out the valve cores on the front tires.
Maybe your boy keeps running it to curbs. Hey i wonder what this guy has to say about you. Personally, if its like you say, I would try to smack the stupid out of him with a log... just might work. That little truck stop story ? My God. Tell him " Front and center!" then smack!
Seriously, I would NOT be satisfied with that kind of crap, I would be very insistent on a remedy... even if I was just another crewmember to him. Man, every nook and cranny looking for this guy? I have been there and I just don't get it. soldiers stay with the trucks especially around civilians.

If the truck is indeed a 1 ton why the He!! did it have a rubber valve stem? One Tons come with a metal stem and a rubber base............ The metal stems accept more PSI than the Rubber Stem and the rubber stems are usually only found on cars and half ton's etc.

I bet it got knocked by driving onto the lift like somebody mentioned.....

Scott

If the truck is indeed a 1 ton why the He!! did it have a rubber valve stem? One Tons come with a metal stem and a rubber base............ The metal stems accept more PSI than the Rubber Stem and the rubber stems are usually only found on cars and half ton's etc.

I bet it got knocked by driving onto the lift like somebody mentioned.....

Scott

AHH it probably was a Chevy.

its all in the interpertation

my driver called me and said that the tire went flat when he tried to add air, that the valve stem pushed into the wheel and dissappeared !

Are you sure that your translation from spanish to english was correct? He may have said i pushed the valve stem into the wheel and then i disappeared??:monkey:

my driver called me and said that the tire went flat when he tried to add air, that the valve stem pushed into the wheel and dissappeared !

Are you sure that your translation from spanish to english was correct? He may have said i pushed the valve stem into the wheel and then i disappeared??:monkey:

EGGXACTLY!:clap:

Did you by the truck new? How old is the truck? Could just be a tube !!
:jawdrop:

My '88 c-30 ROCKS:cheers:

Last edited:
Actually the metal stem sounds like a better chance. I forgot they made those as I haven't touched a normal truck tire in a long time. They compose of a core, an inner rubber seal, an outer rubber seal, a washer, and a nut. If by chance the nut vibrates off which does happen the air will slowly leak as the pressure and the outer rubber seal will hold it place for a while. When you try to air it up presto disappearing valve stem. I'm curious also to hear the final outcome of this one.

If he's that unreliable and untrustworthy, why don't you introduce him to the unemployment line instead of badmouthing him on the internet?

Ian

Well...That's a worthy consideration. On the other hand, who among us doesn't have problems finding good help ? My own philosophy is to train and correct undesirable behavior, unless I come to the conclusion that there is no reason to expect improvement. That is where I am trying to go with this post.

So far, not very many people have offered an opinion as to whether I was being overly suspicious or not. I was hoping that there would be a chorus of comments from others that had ALSO had a valve stem pop back into the tire causing a flat. As I expected, no one has offered that experience.

With respect to having the wrong size valve stem: only one size stem is possible. All other valve stems are larger than the one required to fit the wheel. With respect to all inquiries about the existance of a tube: No, No, and No. And stop asking. It's a valve stem. Rubber. Flexible, but breakable.

I don't speak spanish, and neither does he. His communication skills are excellent, and you can bet that I have already asked enough questions to determine exactly what he was saying.

Scott

The metal stems are a recent change to the Ford one-ton design. ALL of my one-tons have rubber stems, but none of them are newer than 1998.

I have been fighting the metal stems on our 2000 F-550, and they are inclined to leak, and they are dam near impossible to put air into on the inside dual. The older design metal stems used a rubber grommet that went up the neck of the stem and partially filled the hole in the wheel. The newer designs only have a THIN rubber washer between the wheel and the stem, and the alignment must be perfect, or you get a leak.

Actually the metal stem sounds like a better chance. I forgot they made those as I haven't touched a normal truck tire in a long time. They compose of a core, an inner rubber seal, an outer rubber seal, a washer, and a nut. If by chance the nut vibrates off which does happen the air will slowly leak as the pressure and the outer rubber seal will hold it place for a while. When you try to air it up presto disappearing valve stem. I'm curious also to hear the final outcome of this one.

That's actually a good idea, but I don't think there was a metal stem. So far, I have been too busy to even park the truck long enough to break down the tire and check it out.

I PROMISE I will let everyone know what I find, and tomorrow might be a good day for it ! The fellow in question is scheduled to go with me tomorrow and spray a bunch of bagworms on some bushes beside a highway. No problem, except that there is no shoulder whatsoever. We'll be blocking one lane of traffic on a 55 mph stretch of road. Lots of fun.

Again, whats in it for this guy to get a flat tire? What possible personal, emotional, financial gain does he stand to acquire by losing a valve stem in a tire?

Again, whats in it for this guy to get a flat tire? What possible personal, emotional, financial gain does he stand to acquire by losing a valve stem in a tire?

Sitting in the A/C at a truck stop is much easier than what I had planned for the rest of the day.

When you have had as many malicious, stupid, low-down tricks pulled on you as I have experienced in the last 25 years, you begin to question not why, but whether something odd was deliberately done. Why someone does any sort of wrongful act is irrelevant.

I'll ask him why, if I conclude it was deliberate. Right now, I see no possible way to reach that conclusion fairly. I cannot think of any way to prove or disprove the truth of his statements, apart from whether or not the stem is still in the tire.

One thing is for certain: that extra stem won't come OUT of that tire without me seeing it first. Tomorrow is a good day for that !

<Snip

So far, not very many people have offered an opinion as to whether I was being overly suspicious or not. I was hoping that there would be a chorus of comments from others that had ALSO had a valve stem pop back into the tire causing a flat. As I expected, no one has offered that experience.

With respect to having the wrong size valve stem: only one size stem is possible. All other valve stems are larger than the one required to fit the wheel.Snip>

Well since you asked yes you are being overly suspicious since you dont know what in he11 really did happen. As far as saying only one size is possible, I think that should say only one size is correct. There used to be a few sizes available but I am not up to date on recent tubeless stems. I have seen tube stems fly back in but usually from having the tube backwards; unless someone has retrofitted a tube (which is fairly common on a tubeless tire that for a number of reasons will no longer mount tubeless).

Dismount the tire and see what is inside! You are going to correct your makeshift repair aren't you?

Latest posts

Back