strange job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they will look great when the fence goes up but that does not
solve the org. problem WHATS CAUSING THIS?

If you ever get tired of tree work you can start up a company grooming French Poodles. (just messin with ya)

:blob2: Kenn

I've started this for two customers, except my plan is to complete around 24' of skirting on existing 40'-50' Doug firs over a 8 year period. Not quite as harsh as this prescription.

The trees probably don't mind too much, as rborist1 said. After that, it's a matter of aesthetics. Arguing aeathetics with a client is not MY strongpoint, for sure.
My father used to say "de gustibus non disputandem" which I think translates to "just stick to the facts, son, and get the check on your way out."
As far as sucker growth, either treat with paclobutrazol, which might well take care of the leaf dieback, too, or schedule to re-prune every other year or so.
I think you did fine!

these types of conifers are the bain of many a british arborist but probably equate to 50 % of work. horrible trees and every body tops them. they dont regrow from pruning cuts on the stem, they only grow from growth points. beleive me, these will not die!!!! as for sun scorch, there aint enough sun here in dull blighty!

Originally posted by Dadatwins
Almost looks like backwards topping. They will probably survive but I wonder what they will look like when all the cuts start sending out new growth? Definitely goes into the never seen that before category.

no chance of leyllandii resprouting mate

hate em

only good pruning is a cut just above the ground....climbed a few and they are minging, maybe not so much when they get massive, but when they are intermediate they suck, los of dead twigs inside which get into every pore, never mind up ya nose etc.

having said that they have now become a focal point and talking issue

as for the pruning maybe a little too much was taken off but screw em, screw em all. pah horrible weeds

jamie

wahey i agree and they keep those scummy rags of society, hawkers and gypo's in work. i lose count of fly tipped conifer around here. ide like to burn them all.:angry: :angry: :angry:

Originally posted by PRUNER 1
wahey i agree and they keep those scummy rags of society, hawkers and gypo's in work. i lose count of fly tipped conifer around here. ide like to burn them all.:angry: :angry: :angry:

i was reading somewhere that they got gypos/travelers. in the states as aswell there upto the old tarmac scam overthere:angry:

ok

i'll bring the petrol and matches you can bring the saw and we shall cleasne the country of this plauge.....

funny thin i read in a local garden centre catalogue....new 'laylandii clone, will grow quickly to 3 foot then slow down and stop at 6 foot', hmmmm wonder how many folk bought them and watched them grow quickly past 6 foot

jamie

Re: ok

Originally posted by jamie
i'll bring the petrol and matches you can bring the saw and we shall cleasne the country of this plauge.....

funny thin i read in a local garden centre catalogue....new 'laylandii clone, will grow quickly to 3 foot then slow down and stop at 6 foot', hmmmm wonder how many folk bought them and watched them grow quickly past 6 foot

jamie

ihad some travelers go onto my regular cutomers and claim to be my brother in law

I know what you mean, about doing what customer wants, and what we concive as normal. Last year i had a similar deal , the customer had a hedge row that had not been trimed in ten years or so, very overgrown . To top it all off the customer did not want it to look like it was ever trimed,wanted a rustic look to it????
well we did it took about five hours looked sort of butcherd to us
but it is exactly what she was looking to do sorry no pictures, Waiting for sucker grouth this year to see if it fills in some

rollacosta, burn them, burn them quickly, napalm would be a good start! ufortunately they have taken over the neighbourhood where i live, they buy all the houses, do them up like chintzy palaces (3 bed semis) concrete over the gardens and park caravans and transits full of conifer and tarmac on them. they also drive brand new mercs, audis, shoguns, transits and all look like each other. obviously a close knit community with a limited gene pool. sorry for the rant but they really do get my back up.:angry2: :angry2:

eh

pruner im assuimg that you mean that the gypos are buying the houses and not the cypress....anyway they can burn as well

jamie

the fence?

The customer can start new trees inbetween the ones that were just pruned and in few(5-10) years have a new live fence from which you remove the original trees that you just trimmed and let the new trees fill in. This will work if you find and fix the pathogen problem. You can cycle the trees out like this every 40-50 years to keep the live fence. You only loose the privacy for a few years as the new trees grow in. Trees are renewable.
I have done this type of prunning but to only up 16' to allow the air to flow through to dry up the lawn as per the customers request, he also wanted to mow under them without getting wacked in the head by low branches. The lower limbs you left may be overtaken by gravity or wind and you need to go back and check for that. Many homeowners plant the trees and forget about them until the trees are out of contol. Then you get the call, "Can you fix this?"

xCupressocyparis letlandii ?

So they're leylands? Very common here too. If stems are weeping goop those branches may have been dying from Seridium canker, which will spread thru the whole plant.:(

The disease is treatable if caught early, just trim out the infected bark, sterilize, and get the roots working right. It really pays to know what you're working with; clients will pay for treatment, which is way more rewarding than hacking on command.:alien:

Leylands can be kept narrow or short but that is very high-maintenance work I agree.

Originally posted by PRUNER 1
rollacosta, burn them, burn them quickly, napalm would be a good start! ufortunately they have taken over the neighbourhood where i live, they buy all the houses, do them up like chintzy palaces (3 bed semis) concrete over the gardens and park caravans and transits full of conifer and tarmac on them. they also drive brand new mercs, audis, shoguns, transits and all look like each other. obviously a close knit community with a limited gene pool. sorry for the rant but they really do get my back up.:angry2: :angry2:

The sad thing is I know what you blokes are griping about, and I agree. Tea any one???:Monkey:

Latest posts

Back