Strange tree sprouted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimkramer

Reaction score
I have a tree that sprouted in my backyard garden right next to a 25 year old pine tree. I have never seen a tree like it nor can I find any place that might know what it is. It is VERY fast growing, seems to like the shade, the leaves are huge: easily 12" - 14" across and up from the stem. It's shape is almost 3 fingers as if it were a maple but much larger. There are no sharp edges to the leaf they are all rounded. The trunk is very smooth and grey.

This tree showed up in my garden suddenly last summer I cut it back and now this summer it is twice the size.

Anyone have ANY idea if I should attempt to transplant this tree elsewhere or trash it? It is attractive and I love to have different shapes, colors and plants in my gardens.

Thanks for any info...Mim

RaisedByWolves said:
Sassafrass.

Break off a leaf stem and rub it, if it smells like rootbeer its Sassafrass.
Nah, sassafrass does not have that bark and it does not grow fast. Probably mulberry or "paper mulberry" (Broussonetia). I've managed a few that were in the right place. In Williamsburg VA they are used as street trees. Most other places, like coming up right next to a pine tree, they are weeds.

No pic -> Wild Guesses.

Here are pics of my strange tree

I've attached two photos of my tree...any help will be greatly appreciated. Should I dig it up and throw it away or transplant it...and in what conditions?

Thanks!!

Mim

mimkramer said:
I've attached two photos of my tree...any help will be greatly appreciated. Should I dig it up and throw it away or transplant it...and in what conditions?

Thanks!!

Mim

If you like the tree transplant and nourish it . If not, kill it and be done.

Is it so terrible

I love the leaves and the texture in my garden. Is it so terrible to want to know what it is so that I can plant it in the most hospitable area?

Just wondering...but finding a little bit of elitism here that I didn't expect from this site????

mimkramer said:
...I can plant it in the most hospitable area?
?
Whatever the species, this plant's roots very likely are wound around your pine's roots. digging up enough root mass to keep it alive is quite doubtful, and damaging pine roots is inevitable. I hope that I'm wrong--have you tried just pulling it out by hand?

Another factor is mature size. Assuming you can ID it, if you plopped that species somewhere in your garden, will it eat your garden? Many trees can and do.

If you visit local nurseries and botanical gardens you may see it. If you don't that is a clue that it may be a rank weed. And a local arborist on site can help you site and maintain your plants to give the maximum benefit.

mimkramer said:
I love the leaves and the texture in my garden. Is it so terrible to want to know what it is so that I can plant it in the most hospitable area?

Just wondering...but finding a little bit of elitism here that I didn't expect from this site????

i read this, walked away, and it's still caught in my craw... i am curious, Mim... what has been said to you that you will interpret as 'elitist?' to begin with, you asked a question without pictures, so initially the folks were taking wild guesses... but all putting out effort to help you... you have heard from the US, from Australia, all with suggestions...

i know because of this thread, i have discovered what a mystery tree is that i've seen-- the Empress Tree... or something similar as it's usually a volunteer...

anyway, just curious as to what's been said that you have translated as "elitist...'

We have two edible fig trees in our yard that have leaves look like the pictures you posted. The fast growth and flourishing under shade matches our fig trees as well.

Rick

If it's edible fig ..... hmmm, I miss that ever since I moved to Brisbane.

I forget what they look like but I do remember them been tasty.

Thank You

Please accept my sincere appreciation for all the responses to my query. Since I like the look of the leaves as a contrast in that garden I will leave the tree, whatever it is, and just keep cutting it back.

You have all been very helpful and I heartily thank you.

Sincerely,
Nancy

Send a sample to you local cooperative extension, they can usually ID and make recomendations.

Back