String trimmer question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My old (maybe 15 years) Homelite weedwhacker broke, and I'm trying to fix it. The pics didn't come out as well as I hoped, but the nut belongs on that shaft right up against the brass/bronze part of the housing. It looks like that shaft was sort of knurled there originally, but after pounding the thing on rocks and pavement for 15 years (to release more string), I guess it wore out. Should I attempt to weld the nut back on, or try to find a new arbor shaft thingee? Or maybe just cut a groove below where the nut is and put a retaining clip on it?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can go right to Homelite.com and lookup the ipl/schematics and order parts right there, if lawnmowertech doesn't have what you need.

http://www.homelite.com/service_support/order_parts

I just recently completely tore down a HB390V blower from 1995 and replaced all the gaskets, fuel/tank lines etc. and lock tighted her back together. I bought everything I needed from the link above and the parts were cheap......$22.00 shipping and all.

I have to admit, I called Homelite and asked them a couple questions and they were very helpful and even thought of few small parts I didn't think of and sent them out to me for FREE. :clap:

The old blower is back in tiptop shape and no more leaking, all over me. :dizzy:

I hope she's good to go now for another 13 years.....Good luck getting it going again!......That old blower has served me well and was worth the effort!

I couldn't find anything that looked like a model number, but the UT number is 20593, and the serial number is HM2730724. Are either of those at all useful?

Snap and post a pic of the whole trimmer, I have a few old homo trimmers hanging about, I will give you what you need, if I have it...

nut loose

That nut is actually the hex driver for the string head. Probably best to replace, but cross drill and a 5/8 long roll pin might give you some free years. Pack a little light grease between the bushngs before it goes back together. Those came in right hand thread and left hand thread as well, but the UT number will get the right part.

I couldn't find anything that looked like a model number, but the UT number is 20593, and the serial number is HM2730724. Are either of those at all useful?

according to that ut # your trimmer is a GST string trimmer model

that part you have is actually part of the driveshaft housing itself

i may have some new drive shaft housings here i will need to check to make sure and they show obsolete on the housings

part # A00104A is the part # for that housing

if you can find a hgt , hlt17 , st145 , st155 , st175 , st175bc, st175c , st175g any of them models will fit the one you have

thanks
calvin

drive nut loose

You could also take the snap ring off the top end, remove shaft from bushing assembly then clean and silver solder or braze the nut back on.

Well I extracted this from the bandit in the weeds, cleaned up the threads,
you can clean and use this.

P.M. me your mail address.

Good thing this Homey signed his donor card.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back