stripped cedar trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txk9tracker

Reaction score
My three horses stripped the bark off five large cedar trees in boredom. I have contained the horses to another area now but will this kill the trees? Is there anything I can do to prevent loss of these trees? They provide shade for our barn and stabling area and it would be a great loss if they died out. The horses have been out of that area for over 30 days now and the trees remain green and appear normal. Please advise.

All you can really do know if just wait and see. If they're still green after 30 days that is a good sign. If they stay green through spring and summer you should be in the clear. How deep did they strip off the bark? Was it deep enough to see the white wood? Are the trees oozing a lot of sap? If not the damage may just be superficial. Give them a little water if it gets dry this summer and add some mulch over the root zone and don't paint anything on the trunk.

Good luck.

cedars

The bark stripped appears just superficial. Looked for and didn't see any sap leaking. Area is pretty much up and down the trunk since in April of 2006 we trimmed them up to head height so we could walk under them for shade. The horses did not bother them until October 2007 and we moved them out end of December when we saw the damage had occurred. Thanks. Just wondered if we needed to apply anything to avoid pest infestation that may attack this spring to unprotected tree.
Kim

Latest posts

Back