Stripped head....helicoil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I have a question for all of you thread insert gurus? I know with the save-a-thread kit it says to use high temp RTV, I'm not sure what time-sert recommends but anybody ever use red loctite on the threads?

Save a thread is the easiest and best …once it’s done you can’t even tell and the thread is stronger than it was before …..once you set it with the punch it drives little spikes out into the aluminum and it’s tough

Okay, I have a question for all of you thread insert gurus? I know with the save-a-thread kit it says to use high temp RTV, I'm not sure what time-sert recommends but anybody ever use red loctite on the threads?
My understanding after searching is flat washer plug seat Time-serts NO on sealer. Taper plug seats Time-serts YES need sealer.

I have the Time-Sert tools available for the washer seat inserts if anyone is interested in buying a set. You'll have to go on line to get the inserts.

View attachment 1071694

Apparently McCulloch anticipated a lot of spark plug thread repairs and had purchased a quantity of the tools shown above and I ended up with them in a large parts lot acquistion.

Mark
What size plugs does this work for? Is there a tool needed for the seat cutter? Is there anything besides the inserts themselves needed to complete repairs for stripped plugs?

M14x1.25 threads, I do not have the driver tool for the seat cutter, you can get those from Timesert or one of their dealers, I got one from Mechanics Tool & Bits in PA. You could also make your own, for occasional uses on aluminum I don't think the hardened steel OEM tools are an absolute necessity.

Look at the videos above, or search YouTube for some vidoes, there are several good resources out there.

https://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html
https://www.mechanicstoolsandbits.c...MnKwwFSKG18kRQMDx49VlKDlRRJ5HTfUaAtcXEALw_wcB

Mark

Well, sheeeeet. I have come to learn that the MS462 that I need to fix the spark plug threads on takes an NGK CMR6H plug which is M10x1, I was assuming M14x1.25 like my Echo, Husqvarna and Jonsered saws. That's a big turd in my punch bowl.

Can I still retap it as M14x1.25 and use a comparable plug to the CMR6H or is my only option retapping it with a M10x1 kit?

Back