Stump Grinder advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoker62

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Carlton 4012 with the 35 Briggs. Good machine but want to upgrade or change , not necessarily for bigger power , but yes always nicer to have .Just a newer machine , less hrs etc. I only have two wheel drive , would like 4 . I also would like the backfill blade.
These are just reasons why , not asking for opinions on that.

Would like to get away from belt drive machines but not sure who offers what . I know the bigger Carlton belts are big bucks. I have replaced a drive belt and a polychain on mine , not cheap either. Plus a set of pillow block bearings already. Been looking at all the different brands and models but getting a bit overwhelmed with all thats out there. I demoed a Toro 38 and was impressed with it but no plow blade option. Diesel would be nice as well if they will start in cold Wi winters. Do the Kubotas or Yanmars come with block heaters . Thanks !

I love my 4012 44hp diesel.

My next machine will be a 5014 44hp diesel with all the bells and whistles. I cant beat the maneuverability of that machine and the power it packs.

I am looking at a Rayco 45 x next week. Have a demo setup. Will have my 4012 for comparison.

Yeah, I understand that. I meant from an operator control comparison , not so much grinding performance. I am not sure of the swing out control panel and a few other features . Ergonomics mostly , and not the wireless, I do not have that .

I run a six tooth Alpine Rhino wheel . Should have went with the Alpine Rocktech wheel though.

Smoker62,I'm not bragging,but once you get the wireless remote mastered,you can grind 25/30 % faster,guys with these types of machines can pipe in ,i think they will agree.You can't take a bigger bite,although with a diesel you can, you have so much more torque over a gas powered unit.I's so fast,up down in and out at the touch of your finger tips,some times i slow down so customers don't get mad when your done so quick.They don't understand you payed big money for that technology.

How did the demo go? I agree with Grinder52 - go remote - you will never go back!!!

My schedule changed and need to set up a time again. Not until after the holidays now, unless we get lots of snow, then probably in spring.

Latest posts

Back