Stump grinder and mini in 1 trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salazar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to this site don't know if I have posted to the right form do any of you guys have a stump grinder sc362 and a ditch witch sk650 mini skid steer all in one trailer I have just bought a stump grinder and don't know if to custom make my own trailer do y'all have any pictures of a similar set-up.
Thanks

Kind of hard to see in the picture (I was taking a picture of the truck) but I take my Vermeer 650TX and my Carlton 4012 on the trailer. The deck part of the trailer is 6 1/2 feet wide by 12 feet long. The front 4 foot part of the trailer dumps to the side. Quite a load to haul, I wouldn't want to haul it with a pickup. If I had bought the Vermeer 800TX they both wouldn't have fit but would have fit on any 16' flatbed trailer, just watch the weight rating on the trailer.
IMG_20170727_201253368.jpg

Hey oldmaple thanks for the info and pic.
I have tried to figure out the length of a trailer which will be 16 feet and the weight of all the gear
Ditch witch sk650 -2,630
Vermeer sc362. - 1,320
Fork attachment. -200
Bucket attachment-200
Bmg attachment. -220
= 4,570 pounds
+ trailer around. 2,700
= 7,270 pounds
I was thinking of getting a 10K trailer that's how much the weight will end up being I will be pulling it with a 06 F250 crewcab 4×4 at first I thought of getting a 7k trailer but was going to be very very limited on all the weight. Now a 16 foot trailer will also be tight to fit all the equipment don't want to go any bigger just because I'm doing a lot of residential work.
Thanks.

something like this really intrigues me. versa-dump made by midsota trailers
http://midsotamfg.com/trailers/dump-trailers/

Midsota-Dump-Trailer-FFRD-with-Machine.jpg

Midsota-Dump-Trailer-FFRD-Top-Page-GN.jpg

or these two styles

Midsota-HS-Side-Dump-Tilt.jpg

Midsota-HS-Side-Dump-Side-Ramp-Mesh-Sides.jpg

My trailer is more like the bottom one. I liked the dump in the rear. Easier to unload, dump, then drive away, especially if you have wood in it, but my stump grinder is longer than 8' and wouldn't fit crossways in front. Also unloading on a country road with a ditch would be difficult. When you dump to the side, wood tends to hang up on the fenders as you drive away. Also long pieces (7 or 8 footers) of wood don't dump well to the side (don't ask me how I learned that). My trailer is a 16 footer (12' decking, 4' x 8' dump) and I do hang the forks or bucket on the mini into the dump area of the trailer when loading both the stumper and mini. Cornpro out of Evansville, IN built mine. I didn't want to go longer than 16 foot on my trailer also due to residential work, cul-de-sacs, getting in and out of driveways can be tough with a longer trailer.

I hear you on those cul-da-sacs with a big trailer.....:crazy2:

I'm probably going to end up buying a 16 foot equipment trailer and build it to my needs that I have on all the attachments and the stump grinder I will definitely post pictures once I am able to get it done hopefully by the next coming weeks.
Also thanks all you guys for replying
I thought I was alone in this jungle:lol:

I’m going with a 16’ dump trailer with the hideaway ramps and put the equipment in the bed(grinder and mini skid) as needed. Unless you’re doing a large amount of clean ups at a time there should be plenty of space for a couple yards of chips leftover even with the equipment loaded and if there isn’t, do your cleanups on a separate day for extra room and leave the grinder at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is similar to what I do now. May I make a recommendation? Don't let the chip pile sit any longer than necessary. They draw up moisture and pack in horribly bad even over one night and also will kill the grass under them. Immediate clean up is the best, same day is next best. If you let them get rained on you'll be really kicking yourself. When I have a whole bunch of stumps to do I usually send one guy to do them all day while myself and another guy just do clean up with a dump trailer and skidsteer or maybe just a 3/4 ton flatbed/dump. The three of us can really knock out some stumps in a day. If its just small stumps I'll send out a guy with the flatbed/dump and the grinder to do it all himself. Whole point is that its best to not grind more than can be cleaned up in a day. Most of my stumps are filled in too so that usually is a separate trip with the flatbed/dump pickup either that same day or the next.

As for pricing, I would recommend shooting for at least and additional 50% of the grinding price. Clean up and disposal is either labor intensive or expensive or both. Unless you have a place to dump the chips for free you also have to figure on some fee for disposal too. Whether you show that in your charges to the customer is up to you, I choose not to and just show the total price.

Latest posts

Back