Stump grinder help needed: farming use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott M

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I remove at least 25 large (18" to 30") pecan trees per year while thinning my trees and am looking for solutions to the stump problems. I have heard about using potassium nitrate and then burning, but I have not found this in my area (Tulsa) other than small, expensive containers. I also know this takes considerable time and effort for each tree.

On the mechanical side, I am looking at stump grinders that are not extremely expensive but are portable in the orchard/bottom land and can do the job without too much expense other than the initial purchase.

To compound the problem, I have another property that will need the same stump grinder starting next year but is 40 miles away. In addition, I could remove 25 per year for 20 years and still need to do more.

Any help on type/brands/suggestions is much appreciated.

I like the vermeer 252 but that is for an urban application (backyards).

You could get a larger tow behind machine from vermeer as well.

Nathan

There are many different brands on the market. You could do a search for each of them

Vermeer makes grinders, Carlton and Rayco...just depends on how much money you want to spend and yoour personal preference.

Seems as if you would need a pull behind, probably midsize and nothing fancy...If you purchase a machine, buy the largest you can afford for maximum benefit.

It might be worth it to you to just have someone grind them, I am sure that would be less expensive than purchasing a machine...

Twenty five stumps a year 18-30" would just be a few hours work.

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies and the useful info.

I have time in the summer to do it myself and I can afford the grinder, but cost-effectiveness and convenience are what I'm looking for. I have about fifty big stumps out there now and about fifty more per year to follow on two properties. Plus there are another hundred or so each year that are just big enough (6 to 12") to be hard to cut close to the ground (to not cause the pecan harvester problems) and just small enough for me to try it anyway and increase the wear on the saws. It's a long way from a populated area, so maybe that is important to consider also.

Any suggestions on manufacturers and models for the smaller, more affordable, and easily portable models.

I have a Shaver stump grinder that is a three point hitch grinder. It works great and new price is about $4500. The one I use needs a 35-100 horse tractor (35 would be pretty small on this machine) but they also make a small size. It is well built and if you have the tractor then there is one less engine to maintain. Easy to move around in small areas.

I'm gonna have to go with both midwest and Daniel on this one. You can rent a GOOD size stump grinder for less than $300 per day which will do all of your stumps for the year in well under a day. There is also the 3 point hitch idea. The 252 is like $10 - $12 thousand if not a little more. A 3 point hitch is not even half that. The math works on both of them, but it's up to you.

If you are only going to grind 25-30 30" stumps per year renting makes sense--as does hiring a pro. If you hope to start a sideline grinding stumps then purchasing may be the way to go depending on lots of factors.
FWIW, the small machines don't necessarily give up much in speed to the mid-sized machines. Where they differ is in the effort required of the operator. You will frequently hear/read that X,Y or Z machine (in the 35-65 Horsepower range) "can grind a 30" stump 6" below grade in less than a half-hour." I routinely grind 30" stumps 8" below grade in less than half an hour with a Rayco RG12!(12HP) The keys to performance with the small machine are sharp teeth, good technique (developed through practice:) ) and personal fitness/endurance( the fact that I am a big man probably helps a great deal in manipulating the 430 lb machine so that the teeth are staying in the wood cutting as fast as possible without bogging). There are several brands available in small models that require the operator to physically manipulate the machine. Some are considerably lighter than the RG12-how much the light weight 'costs' in terms of vbration and durability I do not know. In the 18-22 Hp class a number of the small machines are available with self propulsion. Most are towable(though ramps and a trailer really make more sense for highway towing). Best wishes in deciding!:)
If you do rent, check the condition of the teeth. I have looked at several machines in rental yards and have yet to find one with sharp teeth installed!

Thanks to everyone

Good info.

Since my primary goal is to get the stumps just below ground level for mowing and to prevent interference with the pecan harvester teeth, I am leaning towards renting for a day or two each year. Hopefully I can do a lot quickly if I am not trying to get them very deep.

One local rental place has one for 170 per day. I will check the teeth first (thanks). I will try it this spring when the days get a little longer.

I can't help but want my own to use whenever I want, just too expensive to justify it.

Back