Stump Grinder Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter101

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about stump grinders being high maintenance. what seems to be so bad about it and what goes bad. (teeth, belts, bearings) what else besides the regular stuff? It doesn't seen like there is much to these machines. I know you have the oil, hydro, grease, filters, etc. what else?
(Anyone who owns a Carlton 4012 or 5014 what are they like as far as maintenance goes?)
But grinders in general, what's the deal?

If I compared my chipper to my stump grinder, hours used to hours used the grinder would come out way on top. Grinder teeth need replacing way more often than chipper blades, cutter wheel bearings more often than drum bearings, belts more often on grinder than chipper, air filters, oil changes, etc. That makes my grinder more high maintenance than my chipper. Just need to understand that when you are costing jobs. Can't run my business like I want without either one though. I have the Carlton 4012 and am happy with it. Parts are a pain to get since Carlton makes you use the distributor in your area and ours sucks. At least 2 phone calls for every order, one to Carlton to get part numbers, then one to the distributor to order the parts. Or you can call the distributor and have them call Carlton for the part numbers, then wait a day or two for the distributor to call you back to see if you want to place the order.

when it comes to stump grinders you will need to be a mechanic of some sort or else your profits will be eaten up!
things you will find yourself doing if you own a stump grinder, greasing, rotating sharpening replacing broken teeth,
Adjusting belts, fixing customers sod and sprinkler heads Amongst other things, Replacing bearings and belts.
if you purchase a belt driven machine you will need to adjust your poly chain belt with your cutter wheel bearings.
you might wanna pick up a welder if you don’t want to pay someone to weld. Hydraulic hoses and cylinders need attention from time to time. Air filter changes on these machines should be done more frequently than anything else.
when operating you need to keep a close eye and ear out for any changes if something goes out or is about to You you better jump on it before 2 other things Are broken or busted because of it.
stump grinders are needy at times, there like a relationship you get out of them what you put in.

Attachments

• 314B2BE5-B339-43EC-8149-BE87F5A59D9E.jpeg
    314B2BE5-B339-43EC-8149-BE87F5A59D9E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
All of the above, plus: You can't keep your teeth too sharp.

The horsepower drain is incredible on dull teeth, and they are usually a pain to exchange. Years ago, I tried sharpening the carbide teeth off the machine, but that was very slow & difficult, and we also had concerns about inhaling the carbide dust. It's very bad for you!

I recently discovered how easy they are to sharpen on the machine with a diamond wheel (use a very coarse grit wheel) and a good battery operated sidewinder grinder. Once you try it, you'll never go back to removing and replacing. Respirators are easy to wear for protection.

All of the above, plus: You can't keep your teeth too sharp.

The horsepower drain is incredible on dull teeth, and they are usually a pain to exchange. Years ago, I tried sharpening the carbide teeth off the machine, but that was very slow & difficult, and we also had concerns about inhaling the carbide dust. It's very bad for you!

I recently discovered how easy they are to sharpen on the machine with a diamond wheel (use a very coarse grit wheel) and a good battery operated sidewinder grinder. Once you try it, you'll never go back to removing and replacing. Respirators are easy to wear for protection.
pictures of ur diamond wheel grinder setup?

I'll do you one better. Buy here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078XS2LTM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Any handheld grinder will work. We can clean up the dull teeth in less time than it takes to just take the teeth off, much less sharpen or replace. Roughly 30 to 60 seconds per tooth, depending on how dull they are.

My previous attempts at sharpening involved expensive diamond wheels on bench grinders, then selectively grinding the steel back from the carbide, so as to not damage the diamond wheel with the soft steel shanks. Then s l o w l y sharpening the carbide bits. It was just easier to buy new ones. Now we just turn on the hand grinder and buzz 'em back crisply sharp. It doesn't take too long when you don't let them get very dull.
Quite frankly, my 20 year old stump grinder never cut as well as it does now. When we sharpen, the teeth are actually sharper than you get from the factory.

I'll do you one better. Buy here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078XS2LTM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Any handheld grinder will work. We can clean up the dull teeth in less time than it takes to just take the teeth off, much less sharpen or replace. Roughly 30 to 60 seconds per tooth, depending on how dull they are.

My previous attempts at sharpening involved expensive diamond wheels on bench grinders, then selectively grinding the steel back from the carbide, so as to not damage the diamond wheel with the soft steel shanks. Then s l o w l y sharpening the carbide bits. It was just easier to buy new ones. Now we just turn on the hand grinder and buzz 'em back crisply sharp. It doesn't take too long when you don't let them get very dull.
Quite frankly, my 20 year old stump grinder never cut as well as it does now. When we sharpen, the teeth are actually sharper than you get from the factory.
What kind of wheel do you use on the hand held grinder. Love this idea. Have a Carlton 2020 5014Trx with razor wheel, so carbide teeth. Currently send out to have sharpened @ $3.50/tooth + $21 x 2 for shipping. Ouch. Thx!

Latest posts

Back