Stump grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillytreeking1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a vermeer 752 a carleton 3500 and just got a new rayco super rg 50. What is everyone else using and what do you like about it?

i have a vermeer 252 but ,but i could do with a small machine like stumpers to get to the small and hard to reach stumps

yeah im in the same boat with needing a small machine,one with chainsaw powerhead would be good for ease of carrying around.

i find it a lot of hassle dragging around a 10ft trailer and 252 for a few 8 inch stumps..which could be ground out with like you say a rg 12 or alpine magnum, aussie have you seen them little alpines in use??

yeah i have seen them in use, id buy bone tommorow if the price was right.they only have a few teeth so it wouldnt be hard to carry a few extras.and no trailer.

I am running a Rayco 1625A with mini green teeth and very happy with it. Have not rotated new teeth yet about 25 hours and they still cut great. Had a 1620 before this and newer model is big improvement.

Originally posted by Dadatwins
I am running a Rayco 1625A with mini green teeth and very happy with it. Have not rotated new teeth yet about 25 hours and they still cut great. Had a 1620 before this and newer model is big improvement.

i thought you had a carlton,so your pleased with the green teeth .i just put a set of sharpend vermeer pro teeth on my 252 and after 2 hours grinding in good clean soil there blunt,and the stumps i was grinding wheren't hard :angry:

guy that subbs for me doing stumps runs a few diffrent machines,he says its not worth doing:( dont know myself but he aint using them.

Originally posted by ROLLACOSTA
i thought you had a carlton,so your pleased with the green teeth .i just put a set of sharpend vermeer pro teeth on my 252 and after 2 hours grinding in good clean soil there blunt,and the stumps i was grinding wheren't hard :angry:

I have the Rayco for my own business and use the carlton at full time city job. Green teeth much longer lasting than vermeer. Am using the newer mini green teeth right now the larger ones caused some bucking and pulling with the machine. I have not rotated them yet after 25 hours on oak, pine, hickory, and they still cut great.

My Stump Grinding Machine is a Carlton 4400-4 It is self propelled, 60HP turbo diesel with a cordless remote control. It is a very high production machine. I contribute the high production mainly to its mobility, being self propelled and the cordless remote control is awesome. I could never own a machine without a cordless remote again. In most job applications, this machine can easily outgrind a very large tow behind machine because of its Mobility and Power. It will also fit through a 36 inch gate. The large 27 inch cutter wheel is nice also. I do still use the standard teeth. I actually sharpen the teeth right on the machine with a 4 inch angle grinder. It takes me about 20 to 30 minutes. I can sharpen the teeth about 3 or 4 times before tossing them. I tried many types of grinding wheels before I finally found one that could grind both the steel shaft and the carbide tip. I also mix and match different makes of standard teeth in such a way to make the machine grind more efficiently. If I just consider the time on the machine, I figure I have averaged about three hundred dollars per machine hour ever since I bought it.

I have a vermeer 252, sold my rayco 1642, but want a track machine, probally the trax 60 or a new carlton. I have been using X teeth. Its a good design and at $4.50 a tooth + free pockets the first time around make the price unbeatable.!

TreeCo..........I do agree that a large tow behind will grind a large stump faster that my 4400-4. Even then its not that much faster. What I ment by my post was that In 9 out of 10 of the jobs that I do I can outgrind that same large tow behind machine. I'm sure you are familiar with what I,m saying since you own the same machine. If I were on a 10 stump job, most of the time I couldn't get to one or two with the tow machine meaning I would have to go back to the shop and get a portable. Most of my jobs have average sized to small stumps and the tow behind is just too much hastle to even mess with. Even if I could get to all 10 with the tow machine, just the hastle of moving the truck 10 times, some of them in tight places would take a lot of time, Not to mention the possible turf damage with the truck and large machine. A lot of times I work in yards that the homeowner would not allow a truck on the turf. The 4400-4 is Awesome! There are times when I would like a tracked 4400-4 but the wheels are better on turf. The tracks cause a lot of turf damage turning in tight spots and the wheels cause no damage at all turning. If you are interested I could explain to you how I set up the teeth on the wheel to make my machine grind faster.

The company that sells the X teeth is SDM Tools.
(888) 770-8140 They do not have a web site that I know of but thier email is [email protected]
They are offering free pockets for your initial set. That saves you $
for the switch. The teeth work as well as vermeer, but are much stronger.

Originally posted by mtcates
TreeCo..........I do agree that a large tow behind will grind a large stump faster that my 4400-4. Even then its not that much faster. What I ment by my post was that In 9 out of 10 of the jobs that I do I can outgrind that same large tow behind machine. I'm sure you are familiar with what I,m saying since you own the same machine. If I were on a 10 stump job, most of the time I couldn't get to one or two with the tow machine meaning I would have to go back to the shop and get a portable. Most of my jobs have average sized to small stumps and the tow behind is just too much hastle to even mess with. Even if I could get to all 10 with the tow machine, just the hastle of moving the truck 10 times, some of them in tight places would take a lot of time, Not to mention the possible turf damage with the truck and large machine. A lot of times I work in yards that the homeowner would not allow a truck on the turf. The 4400-4 is Awesome! There are times when I would like a tracked 4400-4 but the wheels are better on turf. The tracks cause a lot of turf damage turning in tight spots and the wheels cause no damage at all turning. If you are interested I could explain to you how I set up the teeth on the wheel to make my machine grind faster.

Morning mtcates,
I currently own a Rayco 1625 and am looking into the Carlton 4400-4. So yes Iam interested in how you set up the teeth and what grinding wheel are you using to sharpen them? Any problems with the Carlton yet? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks merlin

stumpin it

I want to hasten my jobs. I want to get a bobcat 463. Has anyone used one of these as a stump grinder? I will probably get one anyway just to speed up log carrying and grinder refuse.

Re: stumpin it

Originally posted by trzz
I want to hasten my jobs. I want to get a bobcat 463. Has anyone used one of these as a stump grinder? I will probably get one anyway just to speed up log carrying and grinder refuse.

A bobcat 463? The Grinder attachment will weigh more than the machine. Plus you need high Flow for Most grinder attachments. 463's do not even have auxillary hydraulics.

http://www.bobcat.com/products/hist...eType=SSL&itemId=501&SUBMIT=Lookup+This+Model

Stump grinders work best with a lot of power. Before you spend money, demo combinations out. There's an ad for a stump grinder attachment in Arbor Age.

Latest posts

Back