Stumped-by-a-stump questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets not get carried away , when a apology is due I give it ... I can offend just about anyone its almost an art for me.....

You boy need a time out; go to your corner......now.:blob2:

Offend away. You do need to come out of your shell. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

This is where the alpine magnum machine comes in handy, i can pick it up and carry up the stairs then set down and grind away. I am new on here and see alot of people bashing these grinders but they go everywhere!

This is where the alpine magnum machine comes in handy, i can pick it up and carry up the stairs then set down and grind away. I am new on here and see alot of people bashing these grinders but they go everywhere!

thinking about getting one. i have a 7015 trx carlton. gets in to a lot of places you wouldn't think, but some stumps it's like bringing a howitzer to a knife fight. how's that alpine holding up?

that's what I do..well, similar

One easy way to rot stumps is to cut a bowl in them and throw some dirt in there and plant something you like. The constant moisture and cannibalizing of the new plant really speeds up the decomposition and you get a wonderful planter.

--I cross hatch my stumps where required, fence lines or edge of pasture where I want to be able to mow eventually, knock a few chunks out of the middle if it is big to collect water, bored down a scosh, and that's it, then kick some dirt over them to get the bacteria in there. In the spring, they get hit with weed/brush killer when they sprout, maybe two years in a row tops, then the ants eat them away in short order as soon as the tree is really "dead". Dang if I would pay some huge sum to have a stump "ground down". I'd put that money to a new saw or something else!

I have done well on some smaller stumps digging a circle around it with a drain spade and slicing a section of root out with a pruning saw blade in my recip saw. There is no cutting a root without ruining the saw blade. So I found a pack of them at Big Lots. Any course toothed recip saw blade will work. Pitch the ruined blades. Your chain saw will sit in the shop and cheer. The drain spade cuts a small trench easily getting between the big roots and slicing off the little ones.

Finish with a truck and chain. The bigger the truck, the less cutting and digging.

did a 40" dia poplar on the end of a railway station platform(only access was down two flights of stairs) the stump was ground out by a guy with a alpine magnum in less than an hour, top piece of kit

Latest posts

Back