Stumper runs good but cuts weak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vandiesel99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Having some problems with my Vermeer 502A. Just had my crew ground out about 100 large stumps. They said the unit was getting slower when they were grinding. I replaced the fuel filters(inline and canister type). Bled all the air from the system. Ran fine, but when I hit the stump it bogged down really fast and I had to take small bites. It also wouldn't run when I idled it all the way down with the throttle. I checked the preliminary dust catcher and it was caked completely full. I dumped it, replaced both the outer and inner air filters and I still have the same problem. I am not sure where to go from this point. Any suggestions?

Check your fuel pick up tube. Over time it can suck up garbage and debris and jam up the tube. Also check your in line fuel filter if yours has one.

If that's not the problem then you may have to start looking at injection pumps or maybe the cam shaft sensor.

But the way you describe it sounds like a fuel problem

I've cracked the injectors again and have noticed that the engine doesn't really die out much when I crack the first injector, but it is definitely getting fuel(visually the same amount as the other injectors). I am thinking maybe a piece of trash got pulled in to the injector when the fuel filters were changed. Guess I will be pulling it out and possibly replacing it. Other than that, I guess I will be pulling the valve cover and looking in the cylinder from(yikes) more serious problems.

The reason I suggest checking your pick up tube is the same thing happened to me. Machine was running but under load it would lose power. I checked everything, filters, injectors and everything had fuel. Checked my pick up tube and found some woodchips lodged in the plastic tube which was restricting flow. Blew them out and back working perfectly.

So... went through the entire fuel system, all ok. Noticed that when I cracked the injector for the first cylinder the unit didn't bog down at all. The other three cylinders bogged the engine when I cracked their injectors. ALso noticed white smoke coming from the valve cover exhaust tube and the exhaust pipe. Hopefully this isn't blow by but their are just not many more options. Fraid I might have to have someone dive into this engine. Any suggestions?

Update:

Will have to have the unit overhauled at 1200 hrs! Heavy wear in the cylinders, possibly due to past owner. I have put around 200 hrs on the unit, with meticulous maintenance. Now I will have to pay $5600 for a new motor, or probably around $4000 to rebuild existing. 4 cylinder Perkins piece of ####. Anybody know of a good place to find rebuilt Perkins diesels? Other than obvious search engine sites.

Try this

Check with enginepowersource.com They have a place near me and have a warehouse full of new and rebuilt engines including Perkins. I have the same exact machine you have and they have one that will replace mine if needed. They have a warehouse and shop in Charlotte NC. also. Check them out.

Back