stumps: what to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What do you guys do in a situation like this?

Today I went and took down a small elm, a small norway maple (YEAH BABY!), and a small locust. None of them were larger than 8" in diameter. All 3 need to have the stumps ground out. What do you do? Bring the grinder with you for the removals? Go back later with the grinder? Not much money in those 3 stumps... Maybe all of $180, give or take $30. Not worth it to bring a big machine, a waste of time.

I usually just run back out with my portable and do them-but most of my jobs are within 15 minutes of my house. On the jobs with greater travel I try to plan for a more efficient scenario and do other stumps as well while I'm out.

Justin, the way I see it, you have THE best set-up for a job like that. The way I see it, even if a company has a big, diesel grinder, it should also have a small one like you have, for those jobs with 1 or 2 small trees. Toss it on the back of the chip truck with some wood or metal ramps, take down the trees and clean them up, unload the grinder, grind the stumps, load grinder back up and leave.

Usually we tell them we will come back at a later date to do the stumps. We wait until we've got a days worth then go get 'em. If it happens to be a small stump with a far out of the way distance to drive, then I call a stump guy that I know and let him take care of it. But on some jobs we do carry the drinder with us, as some people will insist that they want the stump done immediately.

if we have the tractor (with chipper) out and the pickup we stick the wee plant trailer on with the grinder and take it, when the tree is down someone grinds while the rest finish tidying up, job done, no repeat visits, no waste of diesel.

jamie

We would do it while we were cleaning loading brush. I live in a very rural area so we do it all in one trip. Stump grinder, small bobcat, grab truck, bucket truck. Very seldom chip but will take the chipper also if need be.

I will grind the stump right after the tree is finished, so we can be finished with the job (and get paid).

Latest posts

Back