Stupid Dangerous Skidder Drivers!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, when guys are leaning on my pickup, exchanging information, I let them know I'm going to leave them so please no leaning. :) My rant for today would be Exchanging Information is Really Gossip.

Nope...guys don't gossip. They discuss, they debate, they consider the merits of different pieces of informatiom, they expound, they carefully examine each nuance in the assembled knowledge available, and when they've finished with all that they seek out new topics. But gossip? No. Never. Guys don't do that.

And...if they're leaning against your pickup while they're exchanging information it's because, out of all the pickups avilable to lean on, yours will probably be parked in one spot the longest. Guys can sense these things. It's probably the cleanest, too.

I am goning to be outa here in 4 or 5 weeks,(i hope!!!)so...
Even though i started to consider getting with the local big shot who runs a better buisness. Timber falling here is just not the same as it is out there, not even close.
Like i have said, I should have never returned east:buttkick:

Nope...guys don't gossip. They discuss, they debate, they consider the merits of different pieces of informatiom, they expound, they carefully examine each nuance in the assembled knowledge available, and when they've finished with all that they seek out new topics. But gossip? No. Never. Guys don't do that.

And...if they're leaning against your pickup while they're exchanging information it's because, out of all the pickups avilable to lean on, yours will probably be parked in one spot the longest. Guys can sense these things. It's probably the cleanest, too.

Hah! These guys were all gyppo owner/operators. Their pickups were brand new shiny Dodges, but were jacked up higher than mine. Did I say we are not allowed to use soap? So my pickup is dusty, with bar oil on the tailgate, but a bit lower. The youngest guy and I looked at each other finally. He said he'd leave first and leave the one guy who was riding with him behind. He said they were "GOSSIPING more the women in a beauty parlor." Notice the G word. Gossip, gossip, gossip. He started to take off and the other two got the hint. But we had to make yet one more stop. The young guy and I did the work, the other two, who weren't that much older than the young guy, stayed on the road holding the pickups down, and continued to GOSSIP. It was not yet windy from natural forces. Due to GOSSIP, it took at least twice as long to do a bit of work, thereby making me paint less trees later on, and I had to quickly chew out a LOG TRUCK driver, who "forgot" to put on the ticket and didn't understand the staple, staple, staple, staple, fold over and staple, written instructions on said ticket. Now back to dangerous co-workers.

I agree with looking for another job if it is that bad.

My thumb just got its bi-daily dosage of iodine.. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :taped: it is definently the good stuff!!!!!!!

It has been producing some rather smelly puss but i dont think that it is infected, just alot of saw dust and sweat.

My thumb just got its bi-daily dosage of iodine.. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :taped: it is definently the good stuff!!!!!!!

It has been producing some rather smelly puss but i dont think that it is infected, just alot of saw dust and sweat.

Smelly puss = infection. Cuts don't smell, bacteria producing gas do.

Hah! These guys were all gyppo owner/operators. Their pickups were brand new shiny Dodges, but were jacked up higher than mine. Did I say we are not allowed to use soap? So my pickup is dusty, with bar oil on the tailgate, but a bit lower. The youngest guy and I looked at each other finally. He said he'd leave first and leave the one guy who was riding with him behind. He said they were "GOSSIPING more the women in a beauty parlor." Notice the G word. Gossip, gossip, gossip. He started to take off and the other two got the hint. But we had to make yet one more stop. The young guy and I did the work, the other two, who weren't that much older than the young guy, stayed on the road holding the pickups down, and continued to GOSSIP. It was not yet windy from natural forces. Due to GOSSIP, it took at least twice as long to do a bit of work, thereby making me paint less trees later on, and I had to quickly chew out a LOG TRUCK driver, who "forgot" to put on the ticket and didn't understand the staple, staple, staple, staple, fold over and staple, written instructions on said ticket. Now back to dangerous co-workers.

I agree with looking for another job if it is that bad.

Nice try but I still say men don't gossip. Using logic and common sense and specific examples won't change my mind.:)

Same here. DOG PILE!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't stand listening to all the GOSSIP while you guys pile on! :) By the way, I learned by listening that I better go check the water level in a fire wagon. It is being used for showering by the camping part of the crew. For those of you unfamiliar, fire wagon/truck water is usually quite rusty and smelly. The showerers are providing some naked entertainment along our busy road too. :jawdrop:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't stand listening to all the GOSSIP while you guys pile on! :) By the way, I learned by listening that I better go check the water level in a fire wagon. It is being used for showering by the camping part of the crew. For those of you unfamiliar, fire wagon/truck water is usually quite rusty and smelly. The showerers are providing some naked entertainment along our busy road too. :jawdrop:

Hey I drove a contract water tender! I kept it clean for drinking water which along with constuction was its primary duty. Even after drafting it was pretty clean. A gallon of bleach goes a long way. But I know what you mean about old rusty tank water. The smell lingers for days.

The best picture I ever took was on a fire in (I think) 1987 while driving that tender. 36 hours straight on initial attack. We lost a couple dozen nice homes on that one.

This thread reminds me why I work by myself. I have had people who say they can run a skidder or do this or that come to work and within minutes you quickly realize they can't.

Craig

This thread reminds me why I work by myself. I have had people who say they can run a skidder or do this or that come to work and within minutes you quickly realize they can't.

Craig

Yup. But every once in awhile you run across a guy, or gal, who lets their work speak for them. They just get out there and get the job done and all you can hope for is that you can keep them around for awhile. Kind of renews your faith. I wish it happened more often.

Yup. But every once in awhile you run across a guy, or gal, who lets their work speak for them. They just get out there and get the job done and all you can hope for is that you can keep them around for awhile. Kind of renews your faith. I wish it happened more often.

If you know of any like that in Eastern MA. send them my way.

I like working with skid hands that, when they come back from a turn, they try to make eye contact, they look for me i look for them, works good.

unemployment is easy to beat.

My boss dosent want to fire him caus he will just go draw unemployment which comes out pf pocket.

He refuses to touch a saw, He will not pull cable, And when he gets stuck he jumps off and just sits there wanting me or my falling partner to handle his mess.

Document a problem: issue a written notice of the employer's rules that are being broken. Include a list of penalties for failure to comply.

Break a rule: enforce the written notice. If that allows for firing for a single event, they will not get unemployment. Make sure that the rule is clearly understood, unambiguous, and provably broken.

Then be sure to apply those same rules to everyone on the crew.

Ya i know it can be perceived that way.
But he knew i was there, he cant even find the timber unless you lead him to it. and the rule is that when the saw cuts on, the skidder stops. When the saw cuts off and visual contact is made the skidder goes.
This guy just has a lack of respect and NO pride for the job!!
We put a brand new 7 thousand dollar cummins in the 450 grapple which started ticking and has developed a massive amount of blow-by! He has only put like 400 houres on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When i get him to actually stop so i can lop a top he will creep while i am sawing,D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S.E!
My boss dosent want to fire him caus he will just go draw unemployment which comes out pf pocket.

He refuses to touch a saw, He will not pull cable, And when he gets stuck he jumps off and just sits there wanting me or my falling partner to handle his mess.

OK, after closely reading your whole scenario again, this IS F-ing crazy. I'm really sorry to hear that you had to get hurt due to complete neglagence. I would honestly talk to the woods boss face to face with a controled, direct, dialogue. I would definetly make it clear that not only is your life non-expendable, but it should by no means be cut short by the hands of a complete waste of time, seat in the crummy, spot on the payroll, seat in the skidder, and a spoiled, selfish kid that would be stupid and selfish enough to hurt you or your partner. Your safety should have or should be addressed to the accident waiting to worsen by the boss. I am shocked that he was not scolded hot!!!!!:angry2:

Latest posts

Back