Stupid people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got yet another call today from someone who wanted to know if I gave free over the phone prices for tree removal. All I said was no and hung up. The last time someone asked me that, they couldnt understand why I wouldnt give them a quote over the phone. Some people are just retarted. I should have just told him $10k.

Hmmm. Good advice on how NOT to win business.

But that's okay, it's your business! Enjoy the bad reputation you're earning!

:dizzy:

Hung up? What in the world is wrong with talking to a potential customer and giving them an idea of costs, good frikken gravey you must be very busy to not have to talk to people on da phone! Lucky you.

:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :dizzy: :chainsaw:

Very poor business management. Some people just want to know if hiring a professional is even remotely within their budget so they ask for a ballpark range over the phone. If you can't give them a range over the phone, then you should have offered a site visit - not just said 'no' and hung up.

How many friends and family do you suppose they've told by now "don't call that jerk - he just hangs up on you!"...

When people ask for 'over the phone' prices I ask them how much their tree weighs because I charge by the pound. No joke.

Same reply as I gave to the original post...

I'll never understand you guys who seem to get a kick out of pissing off potential customers and every friend family member and coworker that they talk to!

I hope, for your sake, you really are just joking... :bang:

Last edited:
Not joking at all. My experience is people who expect flat bids for tree removals over the phone are mostly clueless and a waste of time. My question 'how much does it weigh?' is asked instantly and with as serious a voice as a septic pumper would use when questioned about price and asks 'how many gallons?'

Of course I don't use this line every time but it's been fun a few dozen times over the years.

If they are stumped by the question of 'how much does it weigh', do you offer them a site visit and an accurate quote vs just hanging up on them because they dared to ask for a quote over the phone?

Nothing wrong with a little joking I guess so long as you're not just telling them where to go and abruptly slamming the phone down on them like it sounds ACE does...

Not that I'm a big fan of the old sitcom 'Friends' but, there was a character on the show, the 'Soup Nazi', that comes to mind when I think of someone getting PO'd at a customer for asking for a bid over the phone and yelling "NO BID FOR YOU!" while slamming down the phone... :)

As a former business owner I certainly would not treat potential customers the way some
have suggested.

Over the long haul, through word of mouth, treating potential customers like that will cost you business, even if you are arrogant enough to think it won't. You may think it's funny but a prospective customer looking for simple ballpark figures certainly won't.

People talk, they know who they called, and you don't even know who they are on the phone. Towns are smaller than you think and I know what I would be telling people if I got treated that way. I would be telling people that you were the biggest :censored: and to not bother calling you.

You guys really need to get over yourselves.

good luck,
Dave

Last edited:
Just so you guys know, I didnt hang up on the guy. My main point was that if they want a price over the phone they are going to want the absolute bottom price and its probably not worth the effort.

When they ask for price I ask so many questions that they usually just ask me to come and see it. Sometimes I will say worst case senerio is xxx middle of the road xx and if way easier than I am picturing x! This gives them the high and low and in between, and I inform them the price will depend on the amount of rigging degree of difficulty after looking at the job I can better elaborate!

I then inform them I am a member of professional groups in good standing with the community and am not trying to rip them or
myself off, so price determinations are based on site analysis.

Last edited:
Not that I'm a big fan of the old sitcom 'Friends' but, there was a character on the show, the 'Soup Nazi', that comes to mind when I think of someone getting PO'd at a customer for asking for a bid over the phone and yelling "NO BID FOR YOU!" while slamming down the phone... :)

That was a great episode. Although I'm guessing you're referring to the "Soup Nazi" that was on Seinfeld, not Friends :D

Not joking at all. My experience is people who expect flat bids for tree removals over the phone are mostly clueless and a waste of time. My question 'how much does it weigh?' is asked instantly and with as serious a voice as a septic pumper would use when questioned about price and asks 'how many gallons?'

Of course I don't use this line every time but it's been fun a few dozen times over the years.

Such a pinnacle does exist and to quote Mel Brooks" Its good to be king!" To quote me " It sure is."
I slept all day and didn't even answer the phone although it was ringing.

Some people will press the issue over the phone. My usual response is "I have to visit your site and meet with you in order to give you a fair and accurate price." Sometimes their response is, "well, it's about this big and blah, blah, blah....."

Then you have a little fun. "Well...... I'd really have to see it. Could you bring it in?"

Pricing Trees over the phone or internet blog page of mine says it all.

Yet today I still fielded an email that said this
The three trees are quite close together and have branches that extend over power lines and would be close to extending over the house itself. Are you able to give a rough guide as to the cost

And I have no idea where they are (suburb), how big they are, what sort of gum they are etc. I did email back saying I needed to see the trees though.

That was a great episode. Although I'm guessing you're referring to the "Soup Nazi" that was on Seinfeld, not Friends :D

Ah, yes - Seinfeld was the brilliant mastermind of the 'Soup Nazi' character. I'm not sure why I thought it was the Friends sitcom but, at least now I don't feel so bad admitting that I watched Seinfeld.

I was a bit hesitant to admit that I had seen an episode of Friends for fear that I would be permanently banned from this site...

anyone give an hourly rate over the phone?

Anyone give an hourly rate for any work? Removals? Tree Care?

As one poster put it, some people are just wanting to know if its in their budget at all.

Its an opportunity to say this is our price, this is what we're bringing to your location: Large truck with operator, large chipper with operators, one climber and two groundmen, etc for $xxx/ hour.

When they say that it sounds expensive, its an opportunity to say, Of course there's insurance costs, worker's comp costs-- oh and it is one of the highest risk classes for employment, etc.

Sell them on why you're providing a specialty, potentially dangerous service, insured as compared to someone working under the table with potentially less experience, etc, etc. Compare and contrast to professional plumbers, electricians, and other skilled tradespeople.

Last edited:
I have a question for you fellows who cut for a living...

It's not my living so I would be curious if I lost a big tree and needed a service.
What I would be thinking is: "Could I buy a bigger saw and cut it all myself for less than a service?" Assuming there was no danger factor, widow-makers etc. That's what might tip the scales for some...

My question though; is: "Could some of these callers be trying decide if they need to put in an insurance claim with their homeowners policy?" vs. trying to pay it out of their own pocket; or doing their own cutting..
Just curious - be gentle.:)
-br

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back