Stupidity = One nice Homelite 540 destroyed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up the JV version of it. The pull cover says 540 but the rest is green and yellow. Still trying to figure out what to do with it.

Give me a day or two to check it out. Just picked up a few saws last night and the wifey wouldn't let me play with them when we got back.

Just prior to my "accident" there was a JD chop saw on e-Bay that was based on the 540/8800. I thought about bidding, but did not. As I recall, it was labeled as a MP88.

Just prior to my "accident" there was a JD chop saw on e-Bay that was based on the 540/8800. I thought about bidding, but did not. As I recall, it was labeled as a MP88.

The MP88 doesn't have a opening for the bar oil otherwise it would work..I started the process of trying to open the hole and put ina thread for an oil cap on the one I have...its going to be a task. The later 8800's had a stronger handle for certain. i would like to find one myself...I don't know if the John Deere version was a 540 or 8800. I plan to retro the 8800 close port cylinder to my 540 at some point...after I get a clean 2094 ...thanks to CSW I have that opportunity!

Old heavy C-72 fell off my workbench one day and took a chip out of the concrete floor. Bad saw! I sat it back on the bench, no damage. Then I went and found a leftover carpet strip to put down in front of the workbench, to protect the floor from my saws.

Old heavy C-72 fell off my workbench one day and took a chip out of the concrete floor. Bad saw! I sat it back on the bench, no damage. Then I went and found a leftover carpet strip to put down in front of the workbench, to protect the floor from my saws.

I wonder what that fall might do to a new Chinese saw?

I wonder what that fall might do to a new Chinese saw?

It would have fallin apart on its own anyway, the fall just helped it along on its journey to the landfill. Although I must admit that if my foot/toes got involved i would much rather have a 10-12 lb piece of plastic land on me than 25 lbs of magnesium.

It would have fallin apart on its own anyway, the fall just helped it along on its journey to the landfill. Although I must admit that if my foot/toes got involved i would much rather have a 10-12 lb piece of plastic land on me than 25 lbs of magnesium.

I don't actually have any of those Chinese saws...most of mine are made in the USA, which tells you how old they are. I do have one Husky and one Stihl which I think are plastic.

I know if it were me I would be very upset over something like that. Sorry that happened to you.

If it makes you feel any better I can send you a Homelite 150 you bit the crap out of with a sledge hammer:msp_w00t: That is if I do not do it first in the next five minutes when I go out in the garage again to see it on my bench.

Back