SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've go
Probably not. Silly question/statement.... I presume the shaft key for the flywheel is OK.

Before you do much more...... try using starter fluid. Just spray a little into the carburetor and give it a try....outside of course. Let us know if the saw responds.
I've gone through all the trouble shooting and am not a newbie to wrenching. Not sure what is silly. Under full advance of the timing with good spark it will be a sob to pull. I was asking if the capacitor had anything to do with voltage not being high enough.

I think he was saying asking if the flywheel key was good was silly statement/question. Sorry to speak before you, just saw it and wanted to help clarify.

I would assume that if a capacitor was bad or faulty due to heat or other factors, it could start to preform other than intended, ie. Not charging fully, not discharging all its stored voltage, or maybe messing with the timing of discharging that voltage. Who knows. Just a thought.

Yeah Bill, foggy was referring to himself by that statement. Don't feel bad, I had to do a double-read myself, to make sure.

BTW, that's interesting that your 285 has the same ignition. I wonder how many other Hooskies have it.

Hello all, my 056 super just died today. Checked for spark and there wasn't any. I have not taken it apart yet but am happy to have found this discussion. Even ordered some capacitors. Is the 630V recommended over the 400V? Is there anywhere closer to order from on ebay? It will take a while to get here from Taiwan.

Tntatro, the link in post 279 will probably serve you best for what you are looking for. Foggy listed the specs for what he thought worked best. I'd closely match that if possible. Sucks they are most easily found in far away places. Lol.

Yeah Bill, foggy was referring to himself by that statement. Don't feel bad, I had to do a double-read myself, to make sure.

BTW, that's interesting that your 285 has the same ignition. I wonder how many other Hooskies have it.
Only early 285 and 2100 saws had it, otherwise they had SEM or femsa

Does this piece just lift off? It's stuck on pretty good. How do you get it off?

Attachments

• 2015-04-21 08.48.00.jpg
    2015-04-21 08.48.00.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 37
There are plenty of bad Bosch ignitions out there to experiment with if you don't want to risk damage to yours thinking it still may be good, Bill. The success rate for implementing the fix described here seems to be hovering around 100%, so why not give it a shot and maybe end up with two serviceable ignitions...., or possibly eliminate them as the actual problem?

I just wish my 056 was Bosch instead of SEM.

The one that came in the box o' parts with the saw itself from the Husky shop that worked on it supposedly is. I bought one from a reputable source that is supposed to be good, but this is a project in the wings needing a pretty dedicated effort to get it all sorted out. Not sure when I'll get to it, but hope to soon.

Does this piece just lift off? It's stuck on pretty good. How do you get it off?

Yes-- to properly remove it you should use a puller.

Now if you want to be crude and cruel to your beast, place a small ball peen hammer right in the center of the shaft dimple. Hold it steady and WHACK IT with another hammer. Chances are it will pull free. Caution here, the magnets in the flywheel will keep the thing in place so its best to attach the air fins so you can have something to grab onto to pull it free after the whacking.

Remember---me no mechanic.... yeah, English is incorrect along with whacking :)

Hello all, my 056 super just died today. Checked for spark and there wasn't any. I have not taken it apart yet but am happy to have found this discussion. Even ordered some capacitors. Is the 630V recommended over the 400V? Is there anywhere closer to order from on ebay? It will take a while to get here from Taiwan.

A higher voltage capacitor of the material and type I recommended earlier will work. It is just going to be larger. A few posts ago I provided a URL to some 600 volt caps on Ebay that should work if you have trouble getting the 400's

SEM's! If somebody sends a couple of dogs.... MUST BE FAILED UNITS to me, someday when I get time, I will try to find what the problem is. No promises, no finish dates, no guarantees, no nothing, nada, ziltch. If a unit is functional, it will be of no value trying to find what the failure is.

Yes-- to properly remove it you should use a puller.

Now if you want to be crude and cruel to your beast, place a small ball peen hammer right in the center of the shaft dimple. Hold it steady and WHACK IT with another hammer. Chances are it will pull free. Caution here, the magnets in the flywheel will keep the thing in place so its best to attach the air fins so you can have something to grab onto to pull it free after the whacking.

Remember---me no mechanic.... yeah, English is incorrect along with whacking :)

Good idea, that is how I have taken flywheels off other saws. I just forgot that I could put the flywheel back on to hold it. When doing it that way, its good to put the nut on to protect the threads at the end of the bolt and hit it directly with a hammer.
I use my 056 for milling frequently so I should really be able to put it to the test if I get it going this way. Thanks for sharing this information.

Good idea, that is how I have taken flywheels off other saws. I just forgot that I could put the flywheel back on to hold it. When doing it that way, its good to put the nut on to protect the threads at the end of the bolt and hit it directly with a hammer.
I use my 056 for milling frequently so I should really be able to put it to the test if I get it going this way. Thanks for sharing this information.

You said in a post that you had an 056 upgraded to a 056 magnum piston and cylinder. Do you know if the 056 can be upgraded to the magnum without having to make modifications? Can you just put the magnum piston and cylinder on in place of the other one? I thought the 056 and 056 super were compatible with each other but not the magnum.

Back