SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Paul was selling these capacitors in batches of 10. I missed the opportunity before he sold out. Does anyone else have 9 extras (or at least one) that they would be willing to resell? PM me if you can help. Thank you!"

I will have an extra one, once I run test "The Fix" CD module (see Post #114) on a saw in the next week or two. Have you already got your ignition cut open & need one right now?
Would you sell me one of the caps, please?

Harburmaster, I have some extra caps (.82 MF, 400v). I haven't used them yet but others on this forum confirmed that they should work. Private message me your mailing address and I'll send one over to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I applied this fix to my father-in-law's 045AV this weekend. Prior to the fix his saw would run well until it got hot and then had to cool off before she'd run again. It eventually gave up altogether. I found this fix via Google searching and am glad I did! The saw fired right up after installing the new capacitor. I don't have any hours on the fix yet as I'm waiting for the expoxy to cure. I'm feeling very confident about it though.

Thank you for the repair instructions Foggysail

I have extra MKP 378 capacitors left over from my order. Forum members: feel free to contact me if you are in need of one.
I'm interested in 2 of your capacitors for 056 stihl and 045 stihl. Thank You email is [email protected]

I have two 056 saws "in need"........found this thread while searching for solutions.
Love my old saws (maybe cause they are old like me? ;) ) and I would like to get them running again.
Quite amazing repair...hats off to you!
However, guess I am too late to the party to get the 'right' part.
So.....if anyone who was 'in the know' early....and would be willing to help me with a couple of these magic caps.....please let me know!
Thanks!

Mandomaniac, I have two that I can part with. Private-message me your email address and I'll coordinate shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Folks,
It might be of interest to others here that the Philips MKP378 1uf 400V caps are still available.
I tracked down a source....albeit out of country....that offers them. Only about 40 are available......so once again, if anyone wants this particular cap that Foggy has so kindly shown to work....better get what you need. I ordered 4, which hopefully is all I will ever need.
Can't be in a hurry though.....coming from Taiwan! Might add that the price is a bit more....roughly $3/ea shipped.
Can't figure how to post link, but here is item number on eBay: 151241678480
Hope this helps.

Now......a question for Foggy......has this fix been applied to the SEM module 1108 400 0800 or only to the Bosch?
Thanks again for taking point on this and figuring the fix. :clap:

I just built an ignition for a 056 and it is working great. I made the plate with the correct timing and used a Omega module from Napa auto parts. I did the cap fix and had spark but it would not run.

Attachments

• DSCF9246.JPG
    DSCF9246.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 212
I just built an ignition for a 056 and it is working great. I made the plate with the correct timing and used a Omega module from Napa auto parts. I did the cap fix and had spark but it would not run.
Interesting, and nice first post! Assumed you checked & set the timing at 26° BTDC with a light?

Did you use a points coil & flywheel? I've never seen a Stihl Bosch CDI coil with an orange primary wire like that, kinda stands out like a sore thumb.

I have used some German made Prufrex BZ 18/21 coils on points type Stihl repairs in the past, and they had a light red or orange lead like that. There's some for sale on FleaBay, also used on mopeds

Just order the Phillips capacitors from Taiwan from the original post, well least I hope they are. I also ordered the capacitors from post #120 that foggy said would do.
Foggy I'd like to thank you for posting this information for the fix for the 056. This beats the hell of trying to find a Sem flywheel not that there not around there just expensive

I found out the coil I had on the fixed bosch was bad. I am glad as the new ignition setup is working great. Yes hotshot that is a different coil I got online. I cut the mounting plates out of aluminum. I set the mounting holes in the corrected offset. I changed the magnets in the Bosch flywheel to keep from having a multifire problem. There is only one North/South magnet in the Bosch flywheel. The problem is there is a ring or magnets all the way around. For this to work voltage must be generated in primary winding of coil at the correct moment of the flywheel’s rotation. To generate the voltage at the exact time I put the piston at TDC and lined up the mark and North/South magnet. The North/South magnet is 180 out from the timing mark. I will have a few of the plates for sale. Here is a video of my dad running the saw for the first time. It needed a little adjustment but ran well and started easy. I will have to find the Caps I have they are pulse rated Polypropylene 1uf 400v. I have taken apart a SEM and it is a big mess But you can see how it was setup. I have pictures of it if anyone might want to see what is under all that epoxy mess. Oh moved the trigger to the outside to keep it cool.

Attachments

• DSCF9298.JPG
    DSCF9298.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 127
I found out the coil I had on the fixed bosch was bad. I am glad as the new ignition setup is working great. Yes hotshot that is a different coil I got online. I cut the mounting plates out of aluminum. I set the mounting holes in the corrected offset. I changed the magnets in the Bosch flywheel to keep from having a multifire problem. There is only one North/South magnet in the Bosch flywheel. The problem is there is a ring or magnets all the way around. For this to work voltage must be generated in primary winding of coil at the correct moment of the flywheel’s rotation. To generate the voltage at the exact time I put the piston at TDC and lined up the mark and North/South magnet. The North/South magnet is 180 out from the timing mark. I will have a few of the plates for sale. Here is a video of my dad running the saw for the first time. It needed a little adjustment but ran well and started easy. I will have to find the Caps I have they are pulse rated Polypropylene 1uf 400v. I have taken apart a SEM and it is a big mess But you can see how it was setup. I have pictures of it if anyone might want to see what is under all that epoxy mess. Oh moved the trigger to the outside to keep it cool.

Good information and great job on the work around! The points flywheel had four mags also, but you are correct about the N-S polarities being reversed when compared to the CDI FWs. The CDIs had one North & 3 South magnets.

You should post up a picture of the dissected SEM G/A type, I've got four failed ones that are waiting for Foggysail to do "THE FIX VERSION II".

The SEM is way to hard to get apart to fix. I have been in electronics for 25 years and there is no good way to get it apart to fix it. It is just not worth the time. I can just build a new ignition and have parts that I can still buy. The new ignition has cut 4 cords of wood so far and is working great. I hope someone could figure out a way to remove the epoxy without destroying the whole thing. I am working on another ignition that will work with the SEM flywheel.

Attachments

• sem10.JPG
    sem10.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 196
  • sem13.JPG
    sem13.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 187
first post from a newbie
my trek for a large (to me) saw led me to a very low hours 056super that the owner rarely uses and while he is deciding whether or not to sell it, he loaned it to me to rip apart a 48" silver maple,,,

really like the saw, but as fate would have it... no joy

it will run for 3 minutes under load, then its like a switch is shut off.
cool for 10 and back to work for another 3, wash rinse repeat

thank God for this site!

now i can make an offer on the saw, and have some reason to think it can be repaired.

cool beans as the kids say!

thanks
bob g
ps. will this item replace the bosch system?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elektronisc...gnition-coil-/200547461574?fromMakeTrack=true

I just attempted the fix.
I used a wide tip on my soldering iron to remove the epoxy. It worked GREAT! fairly quickly and very controled.
I was sooooo hopeful.
I took pictures and video of the repair.
I did the repair as described, but when I went to start it... still no spark.
I had previously checked the coil and had ~2.5k ohms. What I expected.
I have another cap coming in from the guy in Asia. It should be here later this month.
I'll try again.
I'm sooooo bumbed.:cry:
Dave

Back