Sugar maple health

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

41pepper

Reaction score
Last November I purchased and planted a Sugar Maple which is about 12 ft tall. It was planted as a memorial to my wife and some of her ashes were added around the rootball. This spring the leaves have not developed a normal green color. They are all a yellowy green with some red tinges. I have found about 8 leaves that are randomly scattered that have completely shriveled up. I've been occasionally watering it with a soaker hose for an hour or so every couple of days when there is a lack rain. Yesterday I learned that cremation ashes may be detrimental to plants for a couple of reasons, first the have a high pH and second they have a high salt content. I know Sugar Maples are susceptible to salt. I'm wondering if the issues I'm having can be attributed to the ashes and what the best course of action would be to improve the health of the tree. Needless to say I'd like this tree to do well. Approximately half of the cremation ashes were used when the tree was planted.

A couple of shriveled leaves near the center.
shrivel.jpg

Color comparison with nearby wild Sugar Maple.
2992E930-8BCC-40B3-BAEF-5EEC33993E77.jpeg

Reddish tinge.
tinge.jpg

The first thing I would do is cut back on the watering to once a week. Over watering can cause leaf yellowing. If you're in alkaline soil and you added ashes your maple may have an iron deficiency. Soil test is next step, make adjustments per recommendations.

Latest posts

Back