suggestion on a good commercial push mower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yungman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I only know Honda and Toro brand. Any suggestion on a self-propel commencial mower that is relative light?

Is Toro commercial as good as Honda commercial?

Snapper
Not cheap, but a very good machine.
Built in the USA to boot. Do a search on the company that said no to Wal-Mart.
Interesting reading
Good Luck

we use john deeres they seem way better than the heavy kubotas and no holes in the decks after a few years like the hondas, any joy with the 4 stroke hedge trimmer?

we use john deeres they seem way better than the heavy kubotas and no holes in the decks after a few years like the hondas, any joy with the 4 stroke hedge trimmer?

Hi scotclayshooter
I can't find any 4 cycle except Shindaiwa 2510. It is not that important for me to get the 4 cycle anymore. Actually I want to find a stronger hedge trimmer, I have an Echo HS150, it has problem going through anything stem half inch or over. It always get jam. Am I expecting too much for a small trimmer like HS150 or it is normal for hedge trimmers? This is the one and only I ever have, no comparison. Any suggestion on a strong trimmer will help.
Merry Christmas.

Hi scotclayshooter
I can't find any 4 cycle except Shindaiwa 2510. It is not that important for me to get the 4 cycle anymore. Actually I want to find a stronger hedge trimmer, I have an Echo HS150, it has problem going through anything stem half inch or over. It always get jam. Am I expecting too much for a small trimmer like HS150 or it is normal for hedge trimmers? This is the one and only I ever have, no comparison. Any suggestion on a strong trimmer will help.
Merry Christmas.

theres no such thing as a good hedgetrimmer i think they are all arm killers i love chainsaw work but we do shrubs and hedges in 4 industrial estates in the winter and i hope for strong wind so we will have some trees down to get away from the cursed hedgetrimmer!!! i think weve tried most of the options from stihl 45s to long reach and yep i hate them all!!

Snapper or Toro commercial.

Hondas are good but parts for them are very very expensive. I have always been a Snapper fan, they are the best mowers ever made.

Lawnboys any good? My family has had a 2 stroke lawn boy for over 25 years and that thing is still running good. I see old lawnboy's on craigslist all the time, you can't kill them. The new ones look nice to me and the higher up models have honda engines and aluminum decks.

i'll stick with Honda.

those two stroke toros were nice.doubt they still make them.snapper is good as well.

if money is no object,Exmark makes one that is 26" or 28".looks pretty darn nice to me,my dealer has one in stock.they can't seem to sell it because of the price.no one want's to spend that much on a small walkbehind.

not sure anymore.

Lawnboys any good? My family has had a 2 stroke lawn boy for over 25 years and that thing is still running good. I see old lawnboy's on craigslist all the time, you can't kill them. The new ones look nice to me and the higher up models have honda engines and aluminum decks.

they got bought out a few years ago by a boat engine company.company wanted the oil injection technology and patents.i'm sure they could care less about mowing grass.

I bought a lawnboy last year and I like it. The handle is adjustable many ways and is easy on the back. I opted for self propelled model. I like the engagement on the clutch the harder you push the spring loaded handle the faster it goes. I could not justify spening too much on a mower the last one was a self propelled craftsman and lasted 11 years. I stored it inside and it looked like new when it died. The lawnboy was one of the lightest I could find and the only complaint I have is the catcher bag is small but I mulch most of the time. If I had a big budget I would buy a toro or honda but I find If you take care of a 4-500 dollar mower they last a long time 7-11 years of 1-2 times a week use.

Those oil injection lawnboys are cool, it's cool to see something so sophisticated on a lawn mower.

I have a Snapper Hi-Vac from 1984, and I can't kill it, it always starts right up even with old stale gas in it, the drive is getting a bit weak in it though, I think it might be time to replace the little rubber drive wheel. It's a neat drive system with a real split axle differential just like a car.

For what you will give for a toro or honda commerical mower which in the hp range 6.75 for the same money you can get a billy goat 32in 13hp 5 speed I have a john deere jx75 used commercially a year old ah ready replaced trans.

I purchased a Snapper last summer, best mower I have ever had. I have two excellent condition Toro aluminum deck personal pace self propelled mowers here collecting dust.

For what you will give for a toro or honda commerical mower which in the hp range 6.75 for the same money you can get a billy goat 32in 13hp 5 speed I have a john deere jx75 used commercially a year old ah ready replaced trans.

That should have been warranty, and every now and again there is a loose one in the bunch. I had one, rebuilt it three times, not exactly sure what was off or where, but never could get it right. Put a new one in, and never saw it again!!
When I first started working there I couldn't for the life of me figure out why people would spend $700 on a walkbehind mower!! As I continued to work there, I found I was working on more and more of them, most 20-30 years old!!! People got perturbed at us because we could not longer order parts (handle bars etc.) for them, and wanted "that mower" not a new one!! They had never had a problem with the engine in all of that time!!
I had to buy one after that, and I am still sold on them!!

I'm partial to the Toro Proline w/ Kasasaki. Skip the BBC option if you want to save a little weight. These have held up the best and given my the best cut mulching. The self propelled models art really fast. It's a shame the Suzuki 2 cycle is gone because that was hands down the best 21" mower engine.

On another note, the billy goat 32" type mowers have a horrible cut. They aren't built for commercial work.

Last edited:
Hi scotclayshooter
Merry Christmas.

On the mower we have had great service out of the Toro Commercial as well as the Snapper Commercial models with our Landscapers. I highly recommend them. On the HedgeTrimmer I would look at the RedMax CHTZ2401L with has an adjustable handle for left or right side pruning. It also has an excellant anti vibe system that works. Ball Bearings on the large thrusts inside the gearbox. A quiet exhaust blowing out away from you the operator. It has Professional blades that are sharpened on the cutters as normal but also the tips are sharpened so as you move into the shrub the blades are cutting before it even gets between the blades. Go and look at one of these if you are serious about buying the best hedgetrimmer on the US market today.

Honda........

I have a Honda HR214 pushmower and can highly recommend it. I bought the mower the summer of 1988 and it will still crank on the first pull!

The Honda commercial engines are about a reliable engine you can buy. Mine has held up very well over the last 19 1/2 years in this Florida heat.

Back