suggestions for a new tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The tree in this pic (chinese chestnut) is looking like it might not survive. I am thinking of putting another tree to the left of this one (next to driveway) so that if it fails I will still have a tree in the front yard. Any suggestions? I would like something that will grow fast, but I relaize that those trees are weaker as well. Also its not a huge space so that is a consideration as well. I like japanese maples, especially the laceleaf varieties.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33431&d=1146073307

Did you dispense with your planter bed idea around the tree? You don't state why you think this tree isn't going to make it for long. Is there a problem that has been identified? I can't see the base in detail enough to know whether an issue has become evident that might be causing concern.

For your replacement tree, if you like laceleaf Japanese maple and they grow well in your area...then there you are. Just remember to provide whatever you plant with a nice mulch ring from the get go to protect the tree from mechanical damage and separate it from the grass, allowing its root system to develop unhindered by the grass interference.

Sylvia

Looks like the area may be a bit sunny for a Japanese maple all alone. They also grow pretty slow from what I remember. Red maple grows pretty fast and has a pretty upright growth pattern. Are you looking more for a shade tree or an ornamental?

Curious why you think the chestnut might not make it?

Good luck

Did you dispense with your planter bed idea around the tree? You don't state why you think this tree isn't going to make it for long. Is there a problem that has been identified? I can't see the base in detail enough to know whether an issue has become evident that might be causing concern.

I haven't put in the planter bed yet. I'll take a pic of the tree tonight. The leaves are falling off, and its only August.

Kind of interested why its dying as well, from the looks of it its quite healthy. I didn't spot a dead patch anywhere, and it doesn't look like its been thinned too much, or anywhere for that matter (not that it really needs it).

I'm all for maple's, but they are a pain to clean up after, with large leaves (and ton's of them, and the helicopter seed's that are thrown around, they tend to clog cutters, and downspouts, which by you may not be a huge problem, but in the snowbelt, gutters are vital.

Japanese Maple's are nice, but they don't get very big, and around here they aren't cheap.

What about a Pignut Hickory tree(or a Mockernut Hickory might do)?

Not sure if the allowable growing area, or your location on the planet, will work, but I've always had a soft spot for Pignut Hickory.

Hey I remember that tree! Why do you think it will die?

Either way, yes a shade tree there would be great.

Kohlreuteria!

ps your boxwoods are hanging in there.

Here are some pics. Also a better view of the place where I want to put a new tree. Actually I have been wanting to put an ornamental in the near corner for some time.

Hey I remember that tree! Why do you think it will die?

Either way, yes a shade tree there would be great.

Kohlreuteria!

ps your boxwoods are hanging in there.

I like the tree a lot. It provides nice shade for the yard and house. And the tree has a nice shape to it.

Kohlreuteria? I'll have to look that up. Good to hear that the boxwoods are doing well. They were way too big for that spot. I have planted hostas and barberry in that spot behind the house.

Drought is taking out a lot of trees around here, also terrible year for spider-mites, webbing everywhere. To much grass competetion for little bit of moisture. Virginia clay soil is horrible during dry weather. If it has to be replaced how about a crepe myrtle? Nanchez will get around 30' in this area. Now is good to time to look at them since they are in bloom and you can pick your color.

Kohlreuteria!

Common name: Goldenraintree

I love it when people think outside the box. Great choice. Depending on the cultivar approx 30 to 40' high with equal spread; medium to fast growing, flowering, adaptable to a wide range of soils, withstands drought, heat, wind and alkaline soils....what more would you want!

Sylvia

Perhaps a mimosa. AKA silk tree.
attachment.php

attachment.php

They are supposed to grow 30 to 40 foot and it would cost you nothing but time. They are plentiful in this area and I can send you seeds later this fall or seedlings.

If that chestnut tree fails I would love asomething like the goldenrain to replace it, and maybe a mimosa at the corner of the sidewalk/driveway. I've thought of putting a small tree on each side of the driveway, but a mimosa would get too big for the other side I think. I would have to see what the neighbor thought about it, because that is a shared strip of grass and the tree would eventually be partly his.

hmm wonder why you are losing lower branches on the chestnut. :help:

Mimosas are nice but they can get an incurable wilt disease.

Still they are so fast it may be worth the risk.

Crepemyrtles good for tight spots. Natchez get 40' here but hurricane-proof--note rb's location.

hmm wonder why you are losing lower branches on the chestnut. :help:

Yes, what is going on there? Can we get closer pics of that branch (including attachment)?

If we are relandscaping the front yard...

You might want to consider a tree island (remembering your mulch ring). As you wanted to have a planter bed around the chestnut, this would be a good time to prethink something which would allow you to have a variety of compatible plants. If you are seriously considering taking the chestnut out (because of decline or whatever) picture your replacement tree WITHOUT the chestnut in the picture. It appears to me (if you picture the chestnut gone) that you have plenty of room to plant a couple of trees on that side of the drive. You might want to stagger mature height attributes to provide a layered look.

Definitely consider the type of storms you get in addition to your soil characteristics when considering your tree selection.

The Mimosa is a stunningly beautiful tree, but I personally would be cautious about selecting it for a focal point of a landscaping effort with the propensity of the Fusarium wilt. Dirr's book states that it is often killed to the ground and then develops shoots from roots creating a mass of suckers. (Treeseer, is this what you see happening in your area?) This might be ok in a more "naturalized" landscaping effort but may not be satisfactory for your front yard.

Just food for thought.

Sylvia

If we are relandscaping the front yard...

You might want to consider a tree island (remembering your mulch ring). As you wanted to have a planter bed around the chestnut, this would be a good time to prethink something which would allow you to have a variety of compatible plants. If you are seriously considering taking the chestnut out (because of decline or whatever) picture your replacement tree WITHOUT the chestnut in the picture. It appears to me (if you picture the chestnut gone) that you have plenty of room to plant a couple of trees on that side of the drive. You might want to stagger mature height attributes to provide a layered look.

That is a good idea! Notice the large trees in the yard behind my chestnut. I had not considered what a landscape without the chestnut might look like. But without it I could maybe put a goldenrain closer to the driveway, and then a japanese maple where the chestnut currently is. That would provide it with morning sun and afternoon shade. The sun rises to the right of the picture.

And I can get closer pics of the chestnut tonight. Maybe I just need to water it. I figured we were getting enough rain that I didn't need to.

Sylvia, I assume you are in the eastern part of MT right?

Sylvia, I assume you are in the eastern part of MT right?

No, actually we are in what is fondly referred to as the "banana belt of Montana" the Bitterroot Valley on the western edge of the state. We can see the Idaho border from here. (The ridge of the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness.) "Banana belt" being relative to the rest of the state...

Looking forward to seeing more of your pictures.

Sylvia

No, actually we are in what is fondly referred to as the "banana belt of Montana" the Bitterroot Valley on the western edge of the state. We can see the Idaho border from here. (The ridge of the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness.) "Banana belt" being relative to the rest of the state...

Looking forward to seeing more of your pictures.

Sylvia

LOL, that is too funny. My said something about living in the banana belt as well. How far are you from Plains? My dad used to live in Noxon, and was an operator at the dam there (mom refused to live in Noxon!). But now their both together in the same house again.

What about a Pignut Hickory tree(or a Mockernut Hickory might do)?

Not sure if the allowable growing area, or your location on the planet, will work, but I've always had a soft spot for Pignut Hickory.

I'm about 90 minute drive west of him, and we have hickory all over here. More up on the ridges than down where I am, but I've still got a nice one behind my house. Not sure if it's a pignut or a mockery. The experts here at AS were not able to come to a conclusion.

RB, last I checked, we're still about 6" below normal rainfall on this side of the BlueRidge, and I think you are dryer over there. Granted we've gotten some good rains after a long dry spell, but I think we're still in deficit territory, and you probably more than me.

Latest posts

Back