Sugihara chainsaw bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfire

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
what is the really hype of these bars? seem they are very costly compared to other breedz of barz?
:cheers:

The bars and tips seem to be long lasting. They are out of the box one of the straightest bars money can buy. Fit and finish is better than most. They do not seem to be any more expensive than any other name brands around here. Used to get them stock with the bigger Jonsereds but no longer.

I would choose them over most others.

The bars and tips seem to be long lasting. They are out of the box one of the straightest bars money can buy. Fit and finish is better than most. They do not seem to be any more expensive than any other name brands around here. Used to get them stock with the bigger Jonsereds but no longer.

You are thinking Tsumura, not Sugi Hara. You can still get the Tsumura bar with the new JReds.

You are thinking Tsumura, not Sugi Hara. You can still get the Tsumura bar with the new JReds.

You are correct, Tsumura would be what I was thinking.

New Jonsereds around here come with G.B.(pro saws) or Oregon(consumer) bars now. Have not seen a Tsumora bar mounted to a new Jonsered in a long time.

Confused I was, but I did spend my evening straightening and dressing a collection of used damaged bars, saved 10 out of 12. Recycling at its best.

The Sugi Hara bars that I have are all old stock and small(+/_16"). I do not no what the hype is about but they seem to be nice bars.

You are correct, Tsumura would be what I was thinking.

New Jonsereds around here come with G.B.(pro saws) or Oregon(consumer) bars now. Have not seen a Tsumora bar mounted to a new Jonsered in a long time.

Confused I was, but I did spend my evening straightening and dressing a collection of used damaged bars, saved 10 out of 12. Recycling at its best.

The Sugi Hara bars that I have are all old stock and small(+/_16"). I do not no what the hype is about but they seem to be nice bars.

When I got my 2171 from Spike60 it came with a 20" Total bar. The new Jonsered Pro Series bars are made by Tsumura (maybe Tsumara?) they are my favorite bars for sure. You can get them from cutters choice, they are labeled as their forestry pro bars. Cheaper and last a long time.

I went out and looked at the easy to find S.H. bars. They seem to be well built, very similar to Tsumura. Labeled on the tip "Made in Japan".

Photos are examples S.H. on top and 3rd down in first photo. 4 and 5 in the photo are Tsumura bars of different ages. Have not seen any new as in still being made S.H. bars and would think that Tsumura won that battle. Pure speculation on my part.

I still do not think that I would pay extra for one. Chainsaw carvers might for dime tips.

I went out and looked at the easy to find S.H. bars. They seem to be well built, very similar to Tsumura. Labeled on the tip "Made in Japan".

Photos are examples S.H. on top and 3rd down in first photo. 4 and 5 in the photo are Tsumura bars of different ages. Have not seen any new as in still being made S.H. bars and would think that Tsumura won that battle. Pure speculation on my part.

I still do not think that I would pay extra for one. Chainsaw carvers might for dime tips.

Sugihara bars are still made, but the US importer is possibly discontinuing them, so there would be no more here in the US.

I just got a brand new 32" Sugihara lightweight bar on Friday. I have a 20" and 28" as well. Great bars! LINK. BTW, the tips aren't shaped anything like your older bars.

You know where to get a 20" 3/8th .050 roller tip sugihara? The ebay link has 3/8 .058 and an email to them says they do not have that bar in a .050.

Hey Brad, do you know if you can buy just the spacers? You don't need a spacer for the Stihl saws, but you would use the yellow for the old JReds. Bars to fit the older saws are harder to come by now, so theoretically you could just get the spacers and run any stihl bar you came across right? Assuming the oil holes line up and everything of course.

Most of this statement still applies to the modern Sugi bars (even though it was the Tsumara bars on the Jonsereds). I've beat the snot out of the lightweight Sugi bars- using them to pry face cuts out, setting trees back on them, driving wedges into them- they take a lot of abuse.

Good to know they are still being made but a shame they might lose their importer.

How much lighter are they? Also are the prices on the links provided considered good?

Very good. Very, very good.

Thanks, I need to find a phone number of a fellow I met at a flea market earlier this year. He was closing up at the end of the year.

Up to 29% lighter could be good. Finally read the links store.

Also, would you happen to know if there are copy/generic bars with that distinctive tip. These would be from a different somewhat special fellow. I think that the bars were all black and others were a grayish white. Stihl mounts only. I do not remember seeing any numbers or letters and there were no markings on the packaging. It has been a while since I was at this fellows place but he was excited about some red saws and blue saws(not the good ones) that he was going to get in and that is why I am asking.

I just put a 25" on my 066. Have yet to try it out but it sure looks good.
I think it was $41 bucks plus 10 to ship it

stuff040.jpg

Last edited:
Back