super split clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't see what HP those clutches are rated for?? They won't last long, if you put one on a bigger motor/load than they are rated for.

"Good" clutches aren't cheeeep!

SR
theres two different sizes and engagement rpm's with just different bore sizes for different size output shafts, theyre all rated 13HP max...
centrifugal clutches like that arent made for anything that requires much HP/torque anyways

? I'd call Paul at Super Split...
paul is just buying it from someone else then charging probably another 20%... pull the clutch off get the numbers or measure it and match it up, its not very difficult

theres two different sizes and engagement rpm's with just different bore sizes for different size output shafts, theyre all rated 13HP max...
centrifugal clutches like that arent made for anything that requires much HP/torque anyways

That just isn't accurate, band mills use centrifugal clutches very similar to those all the time and they require quite a bit of torque going through them.

I've blown a couple lower grade ones on my mill and I'm not talking cheapo made import units either!

SR

That just isn't accurate, band mills use centrifugal clutches very similar to those all the time and they require quite a bit of torque going through them.

I've blown a couple lower grade ones on my mill and I'm not talking cheapo made import units either!

SR
what's you mill around 20-25hp? maybe 65 ft. lbs. of torque? I wouldn't consider that much HP or torque...
I grew up with an 1800's Detroit powered Frick mill, and I'm quite knowledgeable about power transmission components but I don't know a whole lot about the small band mills, I'm surprised those don't use a torque converter type clutch as those would handle that much easier than a drum/shoe type centrifugal clutch...

anyway this is for a super split which is 5 HP? with most of the energy coming from the flywheels, I think a clutch rated for 13 HP would be fine, I would however probably get one that engages at a lower rpm ~1800 just so its engaged well before operating speed...

I don't disagree that one would work on a SS, I just don't agree with your last statement above in red.

I've see centrifugal clutches on diesel powered BSM's, so built "right" (read expensive) they can be built take quite a bit of torque.

SR

????
you got a $ 2,500.00+ splitter, and your racking your brain about trying to save 20-25 bucks on a clutch that "might" be the right one ??
i'm scratchin my head here, with a goofy look on my face...
I ordered a replacement clutch from paul in the fall and its lasted half the summer. figured I would try I different supplier.

I'm curious. What are you splitting? Or perhaps, how much have you split in half a summer?
I believe the clutch on mine engages only when the ram stalls, until the lever is moved down to disconnect the pinion gear, which might be half a dozen times in an hour of splitting.

The clutch is really only there to start the engine. The belts tend to do most of the slipping when the ram is stalled. If the clutch is wearing out that quick, the belts might be too tight? Mine is 4 years old, split around 60-70 cords and the clutch is fine?

What part of of the clutch is failing? Shoes, springs, bearings? I just replaced the clutch on my bandmill, which I wouldnt have thought would be toast due to age/use. It would not disengage so I assumed the bearing had frozen up. I hoped to do an autopsy on it but i botched the removal and totally ruined it. I considered hunting down a replacement from somewhere other than Hudson the manufacturer, but it seems like it was risky and wouldnt save much if any money.

Most of these clutches have a bushing and usually that's all that needs replacing. I got an extra with my SS, but haven't needed it yet...

I dont remember a sealed bearing, but I dont remember any way to lubricate it either? Can they be greased like a chainsaw clutch bearing?

I dont remember a sealed bearing, but I dont remember any way to lubricate it either? Can they be greased like a chainsaw clutch bearing?
Similar to a chainsaw, but with a bronze bushing. Have to take off to grease, but a few drops of oil can be added. I've never lubed one though.

Latest posts

Back